Chapter 23 - Hey magic really is easy

I make my way to the gym and find Nadine waiting for me. She has sectioned off one of the back mats as our little work area.

“I trust you are feeling better?” she asks.

“As good as one can in a house full of crazy people,” I reply.

“You do have a very eclectic mix here, but everyone seems to care for you very much,” she says.

“Don’t believe a word they say. I am pretty sure they were all con artists in previous lives. So how do we get started? I have really only played around with spells I think up on a whim,” I say.

“Tell me what you feel is the biggest thing you have tried so far,” she says.

“You mean beyond the fact that I somehow managed a spell to give me these powers to begin with? Probably the whole moving me and Nate from a tiny town in Montana to the house you are standing in now,” I reply.

“And you did that without any help. Just thought up some words and were able to accomplish something that large,” she says.

“Correct. I decided I didn’t want to fly on a plane anymore and whisked us away,” I reply.

“You are very strong. I felt the power while you were still asleep, but I wasn’t aware of just how strong you really are. I am sure you know that I am not that strong a sorceress. It would take a very large sacrifice for me to accomplish something like that,” she says.

“I think that is kind of what I need you to teach me. I keep getting these horrible headaches when I say a spell and the other day I tried to deactivate someone else’s spell and ended up passed out for a while. If we can find a way to avoid those things, I would be extremely happy,” I tell her.

“I understand. I am sure you have heard all magic has its price. You will need to find something you are willing to sacrifice in order to say a spell to avoid the headaches,” she explains.

“How big a sacrifice are we talking?” I ask. “I would prefer not to have to lose chunks of memory again.”

“It just depends on what you want to do. People have done things like tattooed themselves as sacrifice before saying a spell. The most common is probably a blood offering. If all you got was a headache from your teleporting trick I don’t think it will take much of a sacrifice for you to do most things,” she says.

“So what, I go find some chickens and start slitting their throats before I say a spell?” I ask.

“If that is what you want to do yes. Some things may take a death like that in order prevent you from feeling the pain. For the most part, with your power, I think you might be able to get by sacrificing a little of your own blood. Before you say a spell, prick your finger and allow the blood to either fall to the earth or into a bowl. Work into your spell that this is your sacrifice and you should be good to go,” she explains.

“Really, it would be that easy?” I ask. “I don’t have to use a special dagger or anything like that?”

“I don’t think so. We can practice and see how it goes, but I think your spilled blood will be a big enough sacrifice,” she says.

It is kind of weird, but if it works, I prefer it to the headaches. It’s not like I am going to go around casting spells that often anyway.

“So how can we test this theory?” I ask.

“How do you think? You are going to have to try a spell. I have my ceremonial bowl here that you can offer your sacrifice in. I would recommend something like it because just a bowl from the kitchen kind of cheapens the sacrifice,” she says as she turns to look through her stuff and brings the bowl. “I was told you would probably come with your own knives so I will leave the cutting instrument to you.”