Chapter 13 - Cut the pizza in 4 pieces because I'm not hungry enough to eat 6

We make it back to the pack house that is still in one piece. After removing my coat and helmet, I head to the kitchen to check the status on what is available to cook.

“I thought we would head to a diner or something in town,” I hear Elan say.

“Avery won’t eat anywhere we she cannot watch the food being prepared, so we have all gotten used to home cooked meals,” Rick answers.

They settle into the dining area so I can also be involved in their conversations. I find a couple loaves of bread that don’t appear to be green, some Velveeta and enough cans of tomato soup to make us grilled cheese with something to dip it in. I find a skillet and start buttering slices of bread.

“So Elan, how have you been? I think the last time we saw you was in the 1500s over in Asia,” Nate starts off the conversation.

“I have been good, just a little bored lately as you may have noticed. As you know us Kapres don’t get together too often and most other uniques don’t like having a trickster around. It can make for a pretty boring life,” Elan states.

“Yeah, but how many uniques would really know what you are? If you stopped using that strong tobacco, people wouldn’t be able to smell you from miles away,” Nate says. “That really is the only for sure indication that you are a Kapre. Otherwise you could just be a giant.”

“I actually have stopped with the tobacco, but evidently after doing it for so many years, the scent still lingers. Hopefully that will go away because it isn’t something any of my illusions will mask,” he replies.

“Maybe a spell could make it go away,” I offer as I work on my third sandwich. I figure with the extra large people amongst us I need to make at least twenty.

“We can talk about that idea after you have gone through your training,” Nate says. “Until then the mention of you and magic does not belong in a sentence together.”

“On the subject of magic, what’s this about warlocks? You seemed worried I may be in cahoots with them,” Elan says.

 “We recently found a prophecy that my girl over there is going to put an end to the soulless beings. We are pretty sure a warlock has read the same prophecy and has decided to start a war against all of the uniques in order to stop Avery, who, by the way, and no offense when I say this sweetie, isn’t running on all cylinders. She cast a spell before her last resurrection that caused her temporary memory loss. She has only gotten a sliver of them back so far,” Nate explains. I cannot really take any offense because he is right about me not being all there in the head.

“That’s interesting and all this activity is bringing the shifters together. Avery hinted that you may be revealing yourself to the human population in the near future. What are the plans with that?” Elan asks.

“Nothing has for sure been decided, but we were afraid that the warlocks were going to somehow reveal us causing the humans to turn against us. Not wanting to have to fight two battles at once, we were thinking it might be good to show ourselves to the humans first with Avery being our spokesperson. We are planning a meeting for when we get back to town, but now that we know it was you causing all the problems and news coverage, it may not be such an urgent issue,” Nate replies.

I finish my last sandwiches and put them all on a plate. I pour the soup into six bowls and start carrying everything out to the table. When everything is set, I take my own seat and watch the guys all start diving in.

“So you don’t want to do want to do the reveal anymore?” I ask as I take a bite of my sandwich. As a group we stopped caring about each other talking with their mouths full very early on.