Chapter 3 - Excuse me miss, is that a baby or are you stealing a watermelon?

“So what sounds good to you?” I ask Miranda as I open the fridge door to see what I have to work with.

“I thought I heard Nate say you had dinner plans. I figured that meant you already knew what you are making,” she replies.

Thinking back I remember when Nate mentioned dinner at the reception earlier today and I don’t remember Miranda being anywhere around at the time.

“How in the world did you hear that? There were tons of conversations going on in that room when he made that comment,” I say as I give her a skeptical look.

“I am surprised you haven’t picked up on that already. I am sure someone has mentioned that some uniques are blessed with extra abilities. Mine just happens to be super hearing. It doesn’t always help when ninjas are sneaking up on me, but I guess it is better than nothing,” she responds.

“I will have to remember that when I am saying bad things about you,” I say with a laugh.

“I don’t listen in to others very often. I was just bored and started scanning around the people I knew,” she informs me.

“I can totally relate with the being bored at a wedding. Back to food ideas, Nate was meaning in general that I planned to cook something later, not that I already had it all mapped out,” I explain.

“In that case, Joseph really likes your lasagna. Do you think that would take too long to make?” she asks.

That is so cute how she bases her answer on Joseph’s likes. I really need to do some digging into just how serious their relationship is. Not only that, but I need to start figuring out romantic interests for the blonde bombers. I hope I can find some uniques to pair them up with so they don’t end up in a relationship like their mom and dad, where one of them eventually dies. I know, the thought of me as a matchmaker totally boggles my mind.

“That will work out fine. It will take an hour, but I imagine that will be just enough time for the wedding food to digest,” I say as I start to grab ingredients. “Do you mind browning some Italian sausage and hamburger, while I roll out the noodles?”

“Of course not. I said I wanted to help, not just stand around and watch you,” she replies going to work at the stove.

“Also, while you are by the oven can you flip it to 375?” I ask.

“Will do,” she answers.

We set about our tasks not talking much because my electric pasta roller makes a lot of noise. When I have all my pasta sheets rolled out and the meat is cooked, I start up my questions as I begin layering the meat and meatless lasagnas.

“So, you and Joseph seem to be getting pretty close,” I say making more it of a casual statement than an opening to a grand inquisition.

She responds by giving a little girlie laugh. “He is a really nice guy when you get to know him. In Eek, we had of course met, but didn’t really spend a lot of time together. Him being the head wolf, kind of frightened me so I steered clear.”

“So now you just see him as a big, cuddly puppy?” I ask.

“I don’t think anyone would see him as a cuddly puppy. He is still more the Doberman type, but actually having had conversations with him has made me not afraid to speak to him,” she replies.

“It seems like there is a little more than just talking going on in between you two. I heard rumors back in Eek that Joseph had a thing for you,” I tell her.

“After that whole deal with the warlock almost killing me, I did notice he started hanging around. We haven’t done anything more than share a couple of kisses, but I am all for moving the relationship along. I mean have you seen him? He is totally drool worthy,” she states.