Chapter 34. The Oni

“Maybe it’s just sleep deprivation. Kasey, we don’t know if he has for sure has this, and I’m not qualified to even make this kind of assumption..” my mom said slowly. 

I was trying to busy myself with cleaning up the papers from Claudia’s file that I had dropped. It was insanely hard to keep my hands from shaking, and eventually I just gave up and sat down on the floor. 

What the hell is happening to us? 

I had thought maybe our behaviors had been the result of the human sacrifice thing, and how we were all dead for sixteen hours, well I don’t know what I was… I guess I was sort-of in limbo. I had never imagined that Stiles’ insomnia, panic attacks, and inability to read had stemmed form a mental disorder.

This is the worst case scenario. How the hell am I supposed to help him if he can’t even be helped by the Hospital?

My mom crouched down in front of me, “I think we need to get you out of here before someone else walks in… come on, give me your hands.” 

She didn’t give me room for argument as she laced her fingers with mine and pulled me to my feet. I felt sick to my stomach. I’m prepared to get sick once more, just like I did this morning. 

“Come on,” she mumbled as she led me into the hallway. She then gently pushed me into a chair and then checked the time on her watch. How long had we even been in there while I had yet another breakdown. 

My phone was buzzing in my pocket, but I didn’t have the will to actually look at it right now. It’s probably Scott, either it’s him or it’s Allison. 

“Kasey,” my mom said loudly, “I’m gonna take you home. Have you eaten anything today?”

“No, I don’t remember.” I sighed before standing up and following her out to the car. I didn’t want to leave Stiles, but I don’t trust myself around him right now. I need some time to let this all sink in before I possibly blurt out something that he doesn’t need to know.

☾  ☾   ☽  ☽

“Hey, what’s going on?” my mom said the moment that she pushed through the screen door into our dining room. I glanced up from the ground and found my dad, Scott, and Kira all standing around an open Macbook. 

My dad kept his gaze on my brother and Kira, “Maybe one of you should explain.”

Shadows seeped in through the windows and the room went dark. Kira’s eyes widened as she glanced at my brother in fear, “Scott…” 

My skin felt as if it were on fire and I don’t know why. My eyes darted to the living room, where a black figure loomed, shadows and darkness seeping from it in waves and tendrils. My nightmares were starting to flash in the forefront of my mind, thinking that I had to escape the black fog, I backed up into my mom’s chest. 

“Who the hell is this?” my dad asked as he walked past Scott towards the creature. 

Needles were pressing down on my brain and I grabbed at the sides of my head to try and get the pain to go away. I have no idea what the hell is happening. My eyes were forced to stay open as I watched the intruder shove a sword through my dad’s shoulder as soon as Scott tried to stop him. 

Kira and I screamed then; her in fear and myself in pain. 

“Dad!” Scott shouted as my mom ran around me and fell to my father’s side, he lay still with his eyes closed, his chest heaving up and down.