Chapter 47. Glass Box

I was hunched over myself, sitting on the floor in the glass box that I am trapped inside of. My insides felt like they were about to fall out, and I couldn’t stop crying. I just watched one of my best friends die— right in front of me, and it was all of my fault. 

Allison is dead because of me. 

The Nogitsune got inside of me and summoned the Oni up to kill her because I couldn’t keep it out. 

The box that I’m trapped in is setting in the middle of that expansive white room that Stiles and the Nogitsune had been in when we entered his mind. The Nemeton sat a few feet away from me, but for some reason I’m stuck in this box. 

I can see and hear and feel everything that my body is doing, but I have no control. It’s one of the most terrifying things I have ever experienced. I just hope that the Nogitsune doesn’t know what I have planned for him, for what I have planned for us.

(Third Person Pov) 

“Stiles said that it was the Nemeton that kept it trapped.” Scott said as he followed after Deaton through the Animal Clinic. Lydia was behind him, still in shock after everything that has happened in the past 12 hours.

Deaton sighed, “The problem is this isn’t even a person you’re fighting. Yes, it’s Kasey’s body, but the Nogitsune is a spirit that has now become a part of her.”

“Somone caught it once. Someone can do it again, right?” Lydia asked hopefully. 

The atmosphere between Scott and Lydia was thick with tension. They both knew that even though Allison was dead, they had to move on to try and save Kasey. They were literally out of time and were trying to work with what little options they have left. 

Lydia wanted to do what she couldn’t do for her best friend; save her.

Scott wanted to try and keep his promise that he made to her; to keep her safe. 

“I don’t know. This thing was trapped a long time ago, before the Nemeton was cut down. It doesn’t have the same power anymore, plus the Nogitsune wasn’t controlling an Admonere either. He is so much stronger with Kasey’s abilities than he was before.” Deaton explained further, trying to get through Scott’s and Lydia’s heads that this was not going to be an easy task.

Scott glanced at Deaton hopefully, “If I bite her— and she makes the transition, it’s going to leave her, right?” 

“Theoretically.” Deaton nodded. 

“So, when it leaves here— where can we put it? Is there anything that has enough power to hold it? Like the Nemeton used to?” Scott asked, praying that maybe he was able to conjure up a logical solution to this whole thing.

Deaton let out a breath, “Possibly. When the tree was whole it’s wood was sometimes used to contain powerful objects. But those objects are very rare.” 

“Wait a second. Powerful objects? Like an alpha’s claws?” Lydia questioned. She had the image of the cylindrical wooden case that Talia’s claws had been in. The claws that Peter had asked her to use to retrieve information that had been taken from him. 

It was a long shot to make the connection, but she had a gut feeling that it was correct. 

“Which alpha?” Deaton inquired, his eyebrows raising in question. 

Lydia swallowed, “Tale Hale. Peter had them in this wooden box with a triskele carved on the lid. What if it was made from the Nemeton?”

“It was.” Deaton dead-panned, his eyes falling to the floor.