Part 1 - Introducing Ellie

Ellie's point of view

26th October 1998.

That was the night my biological parents left me on someone else's porch. Albeit I don't clearly remember it since I was but a mere baby at the time.

I was told it was a rainy night. They left me on a farm outside of a small,nearby,town. That's where I grew up.

I'm guessing my parents didn't quite think it through when they left me there. The people had two children of their own,whom they loved unconditionally.

But me,they despised me. Till this day,I've no idea what I did wrong. Maybe it was because they didn't want me and were forced to keep me?

The people I lived with or my adoptive parents,were hardworking people. They made a living from farming. Both worked night and day.

By the time I was five,I was forced to join them. However they never forced their own children to work,just me. And worked me to the bone they did.

Everyday from 5:00 am to 19:00 pm. After that dinner would be served,but I was not allowed to sit at the table. I had to eat my dinner next to the dogs on the floor.

Not that it bothered me,the dogs were better company anyway. They licked me and didn't scowl or bully me. My only friends,I suppose.

So it went on for years and years. Their two children used to bully me and I wasn't allowed to defend myself because if I did they would tell their parents.

And you can guess what happened to me. Yes,I was punished. Sometimes days would go by without me getting a meal. Or they would lock me in the closet in the spare bedroom.

But it wasn't until I was seven that something extraordinary happened.

21 September 2005

It was a blazing sunny day. The sun baking against the roof of the house causing an oven effect. I was ordered to wash the dishes. My adoptive mother warned me that the water is hot.

Her children were allowed to go and play after lunch. They left the table eyeing me in a hateful,teasing,way. I picked up the first plate and dropped it into the water.

As I put my hands in the water,I felt a searing pain jolt up my hands. The water was indeed hot. In the process of not trying to scream,I dropped the plate.

It smashed into pieces on the floor. The noise attracted my adoptive father,who did not look to happy. Soon after the two children ran into the kitchen,eager to see me get punished.

My adoptive mother entered the room as well,anger plastered over her face. She grabbed me by the hand and forcefully pulled me outside.

My adoptive father following close by. I squirmed and screamed for help but everyone was too far away. I had no hope.

They threw me in the trunk of their,blue,Cadillac. Locking it from the outside. They laughed evilly after she screamed in my ear to think about how bad I've been.

I was locked in the,dark,trunk of the car for hours. I was afraid,very afraid. I swallowed a ball of spit into my dry throat. The air in the trunk became heavy and I felt like I couldn't breathe anymore.

I whimpered as tiny tears rolled down the sides of my face. My scorched hands was thumping with pain. And I thought to myself,this is it. This is how I die. Left to suffocate.

I hugged my knees to my chest and curled myself into a little ball. Closing my eyes and continued crying. Another hour or so went by,I wasn't sure.

When out of the blue I heard a voice. Ellie. But I was alone,where did it come from? Ellie,it's alright. I heard it again. Confused I sat up,forgetting where I was,hitting my head in the dark.

All of a sudden I heard the trunk being unlocked. At first I thought it was one of my adoptive parents,but something didn't feel right.

"You can come out now," I heard an unfamiliar,manly,voice say.

Was I dead? Is this heaven? I pushed open the trunk and I was blinded by the whitest light in all existence.

Squinting my eyes trying to see,a warm hand took hold of mine. Yep. I'm definitely dead. I'm abruptly pulled from the trunk,feeling my feet hit the ground.

I held up my other hand to stop the light from completely blinding me. Then a figure appeared,his tall stature blocking out some of the light.

But it's his other features that had me really believing I was dead. He spread out his wings,blocking out the light until it faded away behind him.

He smiled warmly at me. Using the tips of his wings to dry the tears from my face before letting go of my hand. I rubbed my eyes trying to awaken myself from this dream.

My heart beat wildly in my small chest. I backed away from him,even though he was an angel. But why would an angel rescue me? I've done nothing to deserve --

Ellie. His voice abruptly interrupted my thoughts. He knew my name,but how? Okay,this was beginning to freak me out completely.

"Hello,Ellie. My name is Emil," he held out his hand towards me.

"How do you know my name?" I asked pouting.

"It's simple. I've been watching you. Your life is a sad story and I've been sent to watch over you," he smiled once more.

"Watch over me?" I asked with a gasp. Feeling confused.

"Yes. I am your guardian angel. Everyone is suppose to have one,but only special people like you get to actually meet them," he gave my red cheek a poke.

I stood there,silent. He continued to smile at me. Nervously I began shuffling my feet in the dust. Looking down. Tears started rolling down my face again.

"Please don't cry,okay. This is all real. I have been watching you and I've been sent to look after you. It's my job," he bent down on his one knee and dried my tears again.

"Thank you,mister Emil."

"Just call me Emil. From here on out,I won't let them or anyone ever hurt you again."

I was only seven and I did not fully understand what was going on,but for the first time I felt the joy of having hope.