Chapter 39

Chapter 39

Pulling my bottom lip between my teeth I squeezed my eyes tightly as Wes zigzagged yet again around a car, the honking following behind us. My fingers dug into his chest as I attempted to slow my hampering heart, I was ten seconds from a heart attack.

"Wes." I squeaked, uncertain why he was upset in the first place

There was no reply much to my dismay. The chilly late night air whipped my loose hair back leaving my face unguarded by the stinging cold but that was nothing compared to the burning of my calves from the heated metal of the engine. Due to the terrifying speed we were traveling in my foot slid down to the area. I didn't dare utter a word of my discomfort though. Fluttering my eyes open I opened my mouth to speak when he leaned the bike to the left nearly slamming into the side of a minivan. The driver honked but if Wes heard he didn't show it as he sped further down the street. Much to my relief he pulled into the entry way of the parking lot of our apartment.

Still silent he parked the motorcycle, spotting an opportunity I jumped for it. Quickly hopping off the bike I ripped the helmet off my head, heat filled my body replacing my nervousness.

Tossing the helmet on his lap, I slapped his arm "What the hell was that?!"

He cocked his head to the side, the look of confusion seeming genuine which further infuriated me.

"Back there. You drove like a fücking manic and you almost killed us!" I shouted, slapping his arm again

"I knew what I was doing." he responded as he stood up, the difference between our height playing to his advantage

"It didn't look like it, it looked you you were driving recklessly on purpose."

He glanced down at me, his gaze a dark hazy gray hue that took me by surprise "So I forgot you were there for a moment." he shrugged, his voice flat with close to no emotion "We made it back safe, didn't we?"

Shaking my head I had to refrain from slapping him, the way he spoke of forgetting my presence while he zoomed in and out of traffic like a suicidal man as if it were fine. Turning on my heels I stride across the parking lot, key in hand and uncaring if the asshole followed behind.

As I stepped into the elevator he entered, his body still tense and his expression a cold mask that neither reflected anger or sadness. Staring at his face I didn't bother hiding my gawking, the sudden change in Wes since answering Tyler has been a bit frightening. Not because I feared Wes would harm me, I knew he wouldn't harm me purposely. It frightened me because it was the same expression as the day of the carnival.

Hearing the ding of the elevator I stepped out with my eyes still trained on him as he followed in step. Curiosity gnawed at my insides, begging for me to ask the question that's been bubbling on my tongue. Asking would mean explaining how I knew it was Tyler and how I knew him and that was something I didn't want to do. A part of me didn't want to discuss Tyler with Wes, a selfish part that didn't want him seeing me differently.

Arriving at our apartments I watched as he fished out his keys at the same time I went to unlock mine.

"You're not staying tonight?" I asked as my hand lowered

He paused in his search, his back to me as he spoke "No."

Folding my arms across my chest I narrowed my eyes at his broad back "Care to explain why, when earlier you intended to?"

"Can we not do this now?" he asked over his shoulder

"Oh we are doing this now." I hissed

Running a hand over his face, he huffed out an exhausted breath "I'm really not in the mood to deal with one of your scenes at the moment."