Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Swinging the mocha colored bag over my shoulder I grabbed my phone as Amy rushed in her eyes widening before darting down to her wristwatch before returning to me. The mid-aged woman seemed confused at my early departure but knew better than to mentioning it to me.

"Regina called asking about the book signing next week." the short woman finally said in a timid voice that never really changed

Glancing at my phone I noticed three business related texts and one overly perky text from Stacy reminding me of the family get together slash public announcement informing the media of her recent engagement and of course I must attend since unfortunately I am that evil witch's sister. The invitation came up last night during dinner shortly after Wes's phone rang successfully excusing him from the dinner just as my mother started to question him. With my mother giving me that raised brow look that was a silent warning for me to accept the invitation. Reluctantly I agreed to come. With Wes.

"Send her the schedule as well as directions, tell her everything is set and ready all she has to do is make sure to get there on time." I said looking up just as Amy nodded

My assistant glanced down at her wristwatch yet again as I strolled past her nearing the door when finally she asked.

"Are you umm going home?" she asked her fingers fiddling together like a young teenager's would

"Yes, I have plans that require me to leave early which means you can also leave after you send Henry the copy of the signed contract from earlier."

"Right away Ms. Sparks." she replied formally and jetted past me

Stepping out of the office I wished Amy a good night on my way towards the elevator the surprised expressions of my co-workers not going unnoticed. Despite knowing what they were thinking I chose to lift my head higher as the elevator doors slammed shut. I could understand their confusion seeing as how I never left work under any circumstances mid-afternoon and certainly not when I still had a couple of novels to edit. As difficult as it was to leave the office early knowing I still had work to do I needed to discuss this 'situation' with Wes.

Walking out towards the parking lot I spotted my car, unlocking the black Mercedes a typical car that was glamorous as well as efficient. Pulling out of the company building I started towards the main street leading to my apartment building that was only a few minutes away.

Pulling into the apartment parking I parked and started towards the elevator pressing the tenth floor. Crossing my arms over my chest I tapped my fingers against my forearms repeating the rules I had formed earlier. There had to be rules for this unusual arrangement that way both Wes and I could be comfortable with each other and of course there had to be barriers that he could not cross. The ding of the elevator snapped me from my thoughts; readjusting my bag I brushed a loose strand from my ponytail back over my shoulder as I turned the corner, the sound of my heels hitting the soft carpet below.

Stopping in front of Wes's apartment I pulled my blazer down over my waist before rasping my knuckles against the door. Glancing down at the professional navy blue skirt matched with a black lined blue blazer and plain pointy blue heels. Pleased with my appearance I glanced up just as the door opened.

"As expected your on time kitty cat." he said flashing a pearly grin

"Wes." I greeted pushing past him

Ignoring his wicked grin I made my way into the apartment surprised at what I saw a head of me. A black leather sofa with a matching leather armchair beside it, a round table with not a single article of clothing laying on it. Two over sized square windows identical to mine gave a breath taking view of the city and the vibrant green parks tucked away in the middle of the busy streets. The shiny wooden floor had a single plush white rug by the doorway that seemed as if he had just purchased it with not a single stain on it. Hanging on the wall leading towards the hallway heading to the bedrooms were a few silver photo frames hanging on the soft gray painted wall. For a moment I thought of getting a better look at the photos but quickly banished the foolish thought away.