Chapter 30

Chapter 30

Wes's POV

There's not much that can tick me off, mainly because my patience was generously supplied at even the tightest of situations. Even when I was angry I managed to reel in the unfamiliar emotion, it's been that way as far as I could remember. So it was a complete surprise last night when I blew up on Khloe. There is something about her that irks me in a way no other person could, I've never minded the way she gets under my skin especially since I irritate her just as much if not more and I enjoy every scowl she shoots my way. But this week has been a dramatic and rather exhausting one, my fight with Khloe only added to my frustration and growing anger towards myself.

Naturally that anger required an outlet and poor Ray stumbled into the role when he dropped a glass as we set up the bar before any customers arrive for a after work drink.

"I'm sorry, Wes." the young man repeated for the twelfth time

"Sorry, doesn't fix or pay for the glass." I barked

Ray flinched at the venom in my tone, his neck immediately craning back as though expecting me to assault him. That small movement punctured through my sour mood and I sighed in frustration, running a hand through my hair I apologized to the doe eyed Ray who nodded and quickly ran off leaving me feeling guiltier for frightening him.

Dropping down to a squatted position I collected the larger pieces of the glass as one of the waitresses came with a dustpan and broom. In seconds the mess was forgotten with a quick sweep, unfortunately not all messes could be cleaned up as easily.

"You okay?"

Shoving my hands into the front of my jeans I inclined my head "Peachy."

Dominic shook his head, a playful smile on his lips "You look terrible." he pointed out

Long nights spent dozing off on a recliner chair does that, I thought bitterly but reconsidered speaking the words out loud. The burden that's been heavily thrown on my shoulders hasn't been any lighter on either of my siblings or their spouses. My sisters try helping but they can't handle the emotional whiplash that comes with dealing with him, although Dominic and Sal offer to assist me we all know it doesn't work the same way. That leaves me as the only familiar and sturdy candidate to deal with him.

"Marbella said you didn't go home last night."

I nodded, recalling the sleepless night after the carnival "He woke up remembering everything." I explained in a flat tone

My brother-in-law's expression softened with empathy, although he hasn't personally dealt with the situation firsthand he has heard the mess that came with calming my dad down.

"I've spoken to Anna and Marbella, they agreed with me Wes." he began

Raising a my hand up, I cut him off understanding where this was going "No, Dom." I interjected sternly

"Hear me out fratello." he pleaded, he took a step forward and lowered his voice so Carrie wouldn't hear him. Like me my younger sister refused to side with our older sisters on how to help our dad. "How long can you juggle this? How long are you going to take the abuse he throws your way?"

"As long as his heartbeats." I snapped

"This isn't a way of living, for any of you." he said, hoping to reach me by a different approach

"He's my dad."

"I know." Dominic sighed, his dark brows pulling together "But he needs real medical help that you can't provide."

"The doctor just prescribed new medication that should help." I argued, the frustration from earlier simmering not too far below the surface

He rolled his eyes at the mention of the old doctor my father has been going to since he first stepped foot on American soil "That's not enough."