Mistake.

• Dedicated to Our loving family and friends

"RUN!!!" I scream. My sister, Mia and I are running for our lives. The tornado will be here within minutes. "We have to get to shelter before it reaches us!" I say contently. The tornado is now within 16 miles from us, coming at a speed of 43 mph. But judging how fast it's going, it could be here withing the next 5 minutes. We need to run like the wind.

I am pounding with adrenaline, my sister exactly the same. There is no possible way that we are ever going to stop until we know we are safe. I see the trees in the distance and we have to go there. I know it's unsafe, but it's better than in the middle of the praire. I watch the tornado pull trees out of the ground as if they are twigs. It would be VERY dangerous if one of those came hurling at us. By now, the tornado is about 3 minutes away. We might be able to outrun it, but with it's speed, that is likely impossible.

It's there. 20 seconds away from death. If only it wasn't so late, if only we weren't in the middle of nowhere, if only our parents hadn't abandoned us, we might actually stand a chance. "Sis, help me! It's pulling me!" my sister squeals. I grab hold of her, but the wind is too powerful. Mia screams. I scream. Then like a rock in a dirty pond, she disappears into the swirling storm.

I wake up with her screams so fresh in my mind that it seems like I am reliving the moment. I never want that to happen again. What's dead is gone, and it'll be alright... sometime in the future when I have a husband and a family of my own. But I am only 13, too young for that, and to helpless to even think about the future.

"Skyler, breakfast!" my mother yells. She is a foster parent, because our other ones abandoned me. She gives me my new little brother as she sets the table.

"Mom, do you need any help? You know that I am capable of doing that. I don't have to sit around and hold Sam all day." I say flatly.

"No, no I got it. Just since you fathers always at work and suc-" she starts.

"Yeah, exactly my point. Let me help you with something at least," I interrupt.

"Fine, put your brother down and go clean your room," she says without inflection.

I know she can't trust me with much, ever since what happened with Mia, but I AM still capable of doing SOME stuff. Just thinking about Mia hurts. That day seemed like yesterday. If only I had..... I need to move on. I can't let my sister's death keep me from doing everyday activities.

"Wait, before you clean your room, can you just take Sam with you? I need to do dishes, and he needs full on attention. He is only 10 month-"

"I know! Just okay, okay. I'm done. Give me him, and I'll go to my room," I say sternly.

I run upstairs and not seeing a little toy at the very top step. I trip and Sam goes flying. He lands on his arm and starts screaming. My mom looks at me for a second.

And then the shouting begins.

++++++++

"What have you done?" screeches my mom. I can sense hurt in her voice. She looks at me sternly but then glances down at Sam. "Answer Me!" she yells.

"Mom, clam down. I tripped...." I start calmly but she cuts me off.

"Skyler! You need to stop make EXCUSES!" she screams but quieter she adds, "I don't think I can trust you with anything anymore."

"Well, if you think that I'm useless, why do you even want ME! All you care about is Sam, the little angel! But me, we'll according to you I'm just a terrible daughter. Nobody cares anymore! And dad doesn't care either! I feel like a nobody!" I yell at the top of my lungs as I stomp upstairs.

"I do love you honey." I hear her whisper, her voice full of sympathy.

"Yeah right!" I holler from upstairs, "You sure don't show it very well." I charge into my room, slamming the door. The screaming stops when I hear the front door open and shut. "Oh great. She left me alone." I sigh. I look out my window, just to see our blue van pull out of the driveway. Then an idea hits me. I march downstairs and grab my backpack, emptying all of my stuff. Then I collect my supplies.

Once I'm done I stick a note to the door saying,

Dear Mom,

I'm sure you've already figured out that, I'm leaving. Since I'm useless, I figured that you don't need me. Tell dad everything, he needs to know the truth. The cold hard, truth. I don't want you guys to start a gigantic searching party or anything. Besides if I'm useless, why would you even bother. Don't worry, you'll never find me.

P.S. I hope I didn't hurt Sam badly.

Sincerely,

Your useless daughter, Skyler

I walk away, feeling proud of myself, feeling like a knight that just defeated a terrible dragon. I feel prepared. Now where to start? I run toward the river thinking, if I just follow the river, I'll always have water! I feel smart and adventurous like an explorer, traveling through uncharted land. I walk into the forest that Mia and I always used to play in. I bound around, trying not to bang into trees. That happened once, to Mia. We were playing tag and she ran into a tree. All of the happy memories flow in and out of my mind.

Then I see a large oak. I remember that one day...... The memory rewinds in my head. Mia and I were in that tree, pretending that we were in a treehouse. She was sitting on that one branch, covered in moss. She started slipping. I reached out to her, screaming her name. But I was too slow, she disappeared from my view.

I kneel down, balling my eyes out. I look up and see THE branch. It makes me cry even more. I look where she fell. I can see her helpless body laying there. I need to stop thinking like this. I can't.