Chapter 22- Natsu's POV-Flames born from Stars

We started again after the wager was settled. I did not think that this guy would keep his promise, but I did not have the luxury of bailing out of the deal. I had to fight on. Gajeel and I collided, fist against fist. He matched me blow for blow, no matter what attack I threw his way. I took a quick look again over at Lucy when I saw something gold around her. It was some sort of protection shield. It was almost the same color as lightening. That shield was preventing Wendy and the others from getting anywhere near her. My mind went back to the deal that I had just made with Gajeel. Was this his doing?

 “Hey metal head! What did you do?” I fumed.

“Eh what are you talking about runt?” he responded as if he didn’t know what in the world I was talking about.

“That shield, that’s from you right?”

“Oi, its not from me!” He yelled back. “and stop focusing on that girl! She’s fine but if you don’t hurry, she won’t be. You only have five minutes left.”

I gritted my teeth and began to attack him again. I had to try. I had to win for Lucy and for Fairy Tail.

 I was running out of options. I struck Gajeel with my “Fire Dragon’s sword horn”, which only knocked him back a few feet, but it did not make him fall. He grinned at me in the dim light. I was running low on magical energy fast. I did not know how much longer I could last. I was preoccupied with my thoughts when he hit me with his “Iron Dragon blade.” His hand turned into a sword and hit me in the stomach. I flew from that hit about twenty feet to where Lucy and the others were. I hit the wall. When I emerged out of the rubble, Levy was blocking my view of Gajeel.

“Levy, m..move! I need to finish this!” I stuttered, obviously in pain.

“Not a chance Natsu! Take a breather and have Wendy heal you. I will hold him off as long as I can.” Levy said very determined.

“Ha don’t make me laugh! How can you stand up against him? You are just a bookworm!” I laughed. I know it was cruel and I regretted saying it immediately.

“I may be some lowly bookworm, but I am a member of Fairy Tail. I will do whatever it takes to win!” Levy stated as she walked up to Gajeel.

I had to admit, I truly underestimated her.

 Levy began to walk over to Gajeel when he noticed her.

“Oi flame brain so you are chicken! Well I guess that means the deal is off!” He cackled.

“I don’t think so. You said that if anyone landed a blow to you. Are you afraid that I might do it?” Levy answered back.

“Not really shrimp. Fine the deal is still on, but its not like I didn’t warn you that you will lose.”

“Let’s see about that!” Levy responded as she was poised to write.

“Solid Script Tornado!” she yelled as a tornado appeared and headed directly towards Gajeel. It engulfed him in wind.

“Hehe cute but that’s not going to work against iron.” He stated smugly as he broke free easily.

"I thought about that!" Levy said with an air of confidence. “Solid Script Ocean wave!” Levy bellowed as a wave of water hit him.

“What? SALT water! Darn you” Gajeel screamed as he started to move slower.

It did not take him long to break free but Levy was starting to get tired. I had to get better soon. I did not know how long Levy would hold out but I was grateful, even if she was a bookworm.

As Wendy was healing my wounds, the protection shield around Lucy disappeared and she opened her eyes.

“Natsu, Wendy Happy! I am glad to see you.” She said weakly. It was then when she looked at her wounds. “I guess it was only a dream.” Her tone of voice was sad.

“Lu-shee what was a dream?” Happy chimed in.

“I met my grandfather, the Celestial Spirit King in the Celestial Spirit World. He told me that he forgave me for what happened and gave me tools to help out. If only it wasn’t a dream.”

Suddenly a yellow glow appeared around Lucy. It was only there for a few minutes but when Lucy broke free, she was smiling.

“What was that?” I asked.

“My grandfather. He told me it was not a dream. Now I can help everyone.” She said smiling.

“Not with those injuries. You are in no condition to help anyone. Wendy please heal Lucy.” I said as I held onto Lucy’s hand.

“There’s no time for that right now Natsu! I have to give you and Erza something before I lose consciousness again.” She said in vain as she began to sit up.

In her hand appeared a blueish-gold flame.

“This is called Celestial Fire or illo igne. It cannot be extinquished and can break any evil curse. It is the rarest fire in the entire cosmos and I can only give it to a true friend.” She said. “Please use it Natsu.” She handed me the flame, which I gladly accepted.

 Lucy also made a sword appear out of no where.

“Happy, can you please take this to Erza. Tell her its called Stella Gladius, the star sword and it can destroy any dark magic or curse as well. She will know what to do.” Lucy said as she handed him the curved sword, which was obviously heavy for him as he dropped to the ground.

“A…Aye sir!” grunted Happy as he took the sword and flew to where Erza was.

“Lucy you said something about a curse. What is this curse? Can I heal it?” Wendy spoke up sheepishly.

“I am afraid not Wendy. It is a curse that affects a person’s perspective. It has been effecting my father and Phantom Lord for years. I have to do something and the new powers will help.” Lucy said as she was falling back, breathing heavily.

“Thank you Lucy. I will use this well and we will break this curse, I promise!” I said in reply as I ate the flames. It was an incredible experience that I never felt before. It felt like thousands of stars were bursting inside of me, giving me unlimited fire power.

 “Lucy-sama, you still do not look good. You need some help.” Wendy said very concerned.

“No, Wendy, not yet. There is still something I have to do before I can allow you to heal me. I need to focus on helping my friends right now.” Lucy said as she began to sit up again.

Now that Lucy was okay, I could focus on fighting Gajeel. As I stood up, I saw Levy being pounded into a wall. That was the last straw. No one messes with my nakama when I was around. This was a fight for the kingdom and for friendship and with Lucy by my side, I could not lose to anyone. The future of the kingdom and Lucy’s life depended on my victory.