Chapter 30

Micah:

"How is she?" Mitchell demands as Sam walks back towards the kitchen. It's close to two hours since Sam locked Rosy in the bedroom that is in reality a cage. I watch as Sam shrugs and hands the containers he is carrying to Mikkarl before turning and finding a seat in the lounge room.

"Rosy's a lot calmer now," Sam says quietly. "She seems to be pulling herself together." He watches Terry and Dacey as they play with Lego blocks, building towers and demolishing them nearly immediately. I glance at Marissa where she is sitting on the lounge holding Wynn as he sleeps, Jazzy keeps glancing down at him every few minutes smiling softly as she watches him.

"Your doctor is arriving," Jacob says as he steps into view at the door that leads into the hallway. "Lex Norton, Hank Webster and Danny Doctrill just pulled up in separate vehicles as well."

I frown as I hear this. That makes five members of the Board here. Kurt Black, Mal Inness, Cantrell Yates, Lex Norton and Hank Webster. And Marcus Farlow has been called in to act as a member - knowing this makes me feel uneasy and I glance towards Wade silently debating if I should ask what he makes of the situation.

"All board members would have a say on the adoption of the two boys," Wade says meeting my eyes. I give a slight nod of acknowledgement as I glance at Edwin, it goes without saying that the official records surrounding Wynn will be settled as well. Edwin meets my gaze for a second before looking away, his eyes dark and guarded. I grit my teeth in silence as I wonder what he is thinking or planning.

The screen door opens noisily and there are sounds of more than one person coming inside. Doc walks through the door first and Steven nods towards Jazzy as Doc glances around the room.

"So what do I need to patch up?" Doc asks heading straight to Jazzy. He stops and looks around more carefully and I realise he has noticed that Marissa has Wynn. "Where is Rosy? Is she injured?"

"Rosy asked to be locked in her old bedroom," Sam says quietly. He runs his hands through his hair, the band he had used to contain it in a neat ponytail has long since broken and his shoulder length hair is tussled from frequent combing with his hands. "She has a nasty bullet graze on her ribs but she's been changing back and forth so much that last time I saw it it was all but healed."

"You are making sure she has plenty to eat each time she changes?" Doc asks with a frown as he places his briefcase on a kitchen chair near Jazzy before opening it.

"Excuse me Micah but Baxter said you, Dwayne and Donny need to be at the main house," Justin interrupts. "Immediately."

"Mitchell should go as well, as soon as Doc sees all his patients." Wade says from the arch into the kitchen. I glance his way annoyed but Edwin is already herding him back towards the kitchen table. Dwayne and Donny start to follow Justin and I hesitate as I remember the prisoner in the containment shed and how close she must have been with Rosy at one time.

"Mikkarl when Doc finishes here take him to see if ... that woman has any injuries," I order before heading outside. I catch up to my brothers before they reach the main house. I glance at the group of warriors who have accompanied the visitors standing around, nod at several as they say hallo before I lead the way into the house to the kitchen. Baxter is there shaking hands with those who have just arrived as I enter the room and everyone turns towards us.

"Good day gentlemen," I say greeting everyone instead of individuals. I am not surprised when Cantrell Yates steps forward extending his hand, he usually takes charge when he is around.

"Baxter was saying you planned to use the back patio with the shade and fresh air," Cantrell says firmly. "I heard there was a problem with a hunter on clan land this morning, I do hope all possible mess has been cleaned up."