Chapter 23

Micah’s story:

It is dark when I head over to the main house. I am hoping to be able to talk to Jazzy and visit Malcolm who is steadily getting worse. The house seems silent and dark despite there being a light on in the kitchen and others on in the bedrooms. I make my way towards the room where Malcolm is, whisper soft voices make me hesitate before turning into the doorway.

"What the hell are you doing here?" I hiss angrily as I take in the three forms on the bed. "I know I didn’t call you and Mitchell would never invite you here without being here himself!"

I am aware of my hands clenching into fists at my sides but I make no hostile moves as I glare at my oldest brother where he is propped up against the headboard of the bed. Jazzy is cuddled up against his far side and she one hand resting on the head of Malcolm who is stretched out in cat form on the other side of Edwin. Edwin jerks his head up to look my way but quickly drops his eyes, if it had been anyone else than Edwin I would have taken it as a submissive, respectful gesture.

"I called Edwin,"

I turn my head startled at the sound of Dwayne’s voice. He is sitting in a chair at the foot of the bed with Sam standing behind him. Sam doesn’t look at me or acknowledge me in any way, his undivided attention is focused on Edwin.

"I wanted to see Edwin," Jazzy’s voice is slightly hoarse and the face she turns towards me stained with dry tears.

"I’m not here to make trouble," Edwin says quietly. "Please, I would just like to visit with my sister and best friend."

"Put so much as one hair out of line …" I snarl threateningly.

"Stop it! Just stop it!" Jazzy snaps tearfully. "Promise me there will be no fighting! Don’t we have enough troubles without adding fighting between brothers to it?"

"It’s okay Jazzy," Edwin whispers to her. "They don’t trust me and to be honest, I can understand why. I made some stupid decisions and I have no one to blame but myself."

I force myself to look away from Edwin and find myself looking at Malcolm. His mouth is agape with his tongue protruding slightly, his ribs barely move with his breathing and his eyes are glassy slits.

"Where’s Doc?" I ask as I realise I can’t hear him in the house.

"He’s gone into town to beg, borrow or steal some drugs from one of the vets to try to help Malcolm," Dwayne says quietly.

"Edwin suggested that Doc call Rosy’s uncle the vet and ask for a second opinion," Jazzy says. She sniffs loudly and wipes her nose with the back of her hand without taking her eyes off the nearly motionless cat near her.

"And?" I prompt wondering why none of us here had thought of that.

"The old guy suggested different antibiotics to what Doc is using as well as other drugs," Dwayne says and I glance his way. "Stuff for pain and internal swelling, animal stuff as opposed to what Doc has been using."

"Micah I need to talk to you before I leave," Edwin says quietly and I give him my full attention once again. He is looking at me but quickly drops his gaze to my chest playing at being respectful.

"I don’t want anything to do with you," I snap dismissively.

"This is Williamson family business," Edwin says quietly and I growl angrily.

"Whatever it is maybe you should be discussing it with Mitchell and I," Jazzy ventures.

"This is warrior stuff," Edwin tells her apologetically.

"You might as well get outside now and say what you have to say," I tell him coldly. I don’t want Jazzy upset and I am not sure how much Malcolm is aware of any more.