Chapter 28

Micah:

 “Where are Justin and Donovan?” I demand as I storm through the lounge room and fail to find them in the kitchen.

 “They’re outside,” Steven says as he steps aside out of my way. “Mitchell is out there having a few choice words with them.”

 I head outside, my anger burning inside me. What had the two of them been thinking to bring our sister over here? Surely they couldn’t be so stupid as to think everything would be fine between Jazzy and Rosy. I push the screen door open taking care not to make it slam into the wall or let it shut with a bang. I am very conscious of Rosy in the bedroom still on edge even though I had tried to reassure her.

 “What the hell were you two thinking bringing your sister over here?” I demand in an angry hiss as I walk towards where Mitchell is facing Justin and Donny. Dwayne is behind Mitchell holding Jazzy by the upper arm. I take in the mark around her throat, her bright red face and red watery eyes. It all looks superficial and no one is fussing as if she has any serious injuries.

 Justin turns to face me, he moves stiffly as if in pain and has a wary look on his face. Donny glances my way and lowers his eyes quickly. Jazzy jerks her arm trying to get free of Dwayne’s hold but he keeps a firm grip on her bringing a soft sob of frustration from her.

 “It’s not their fault! Why won’t anyone listen to me?” Jazzy demands angrily.

 “Wait your turn! I will be having a few words with you once I give these two idiots a piece of my mind for bringing you over here!” I snap at my sister before turning an angry scowl on Justin and Donny.

 “That’s what I have been trying to tell everyone!” Jazzy yells. “They didn’t bring me over here! I snuck away from them and came over here by myself! I wanted to talk to Rosy without everyone else around!”

“You idiot!” Dwayne mutters and gives her a rough shake. I stare at Jazzy for a moment shocked by her admission and shake my head in disbelief.

“That was not a smart idea!” Mitchell snaps as he turns and faces his wife.

“What on earth made you want to come over here by yourself?” I ask in astonishment.

“I was hoping … well I thought … less people around, less pressure or stress for Rosy …” Jazzy’s voice trails off from confident to totally unsure as she glances between Mitchell and I.

“You know what,” I say harshly. “Rosy is in there upset and on edge because you went in there, in the building where Wynn is. She is so upset she won’t put him down or feed him, she just keeps trying to quieten him by rocking and jiggling him, but he is upset because she is upset. The more he cries, the more on edge she becomes. And the more on edge she is, then the more he cries!”

“I didn’t mean to upset her,” Jazzy mumbles as she begins crying.

“She is in there upset and thinking she is in trouble over what happened!” I snap at Jazzy before looking at Mitchell and meeting his eyes squarely when he looks at me.

“Rosy will not be in trouble over what happened.” I order tightly. 

“Of course not,” Mitchell agrees. “But we can’t allow any violence again. You or I or both of us need to sit down with Rosy and talk about what happened calmly.”

“I didn’t mean to upset Rosy, really I didn’t!” Jazzy declares tearfully.

“How did Jazzy manage to sneak away from you pair?” Dwayne asks dryly and I turn my attention to my two youngest brothers. I would like to know the answer to that question myself.