chapter 16

Rosy’s story:

I wait patiently as Doc checks my pulse and blood pressure before he listens to the baby’s heart beat and I have to smile as Micah eagerly lines up for his chance to listen to the heartbeat as well. I grimace as Doc feels my stomach gently pressing to feel the position of the baby.

"Okay, now the scales." Doc tells me. I stand up and kick my shoes off before stepping onto the scales, we watch as the numbers steady then flash and Doc nods.

"Not bad, you’ve put on the recommended weight gain but I would have liked for you to have put some weight on yourself," Doc tells me seriously.

"I’m feeling much stronger and I don’t tire near as much," I offer.

"That is good but you are going to need every bit of strength when that little fellow decides it is time to arrive and going on his size now, he isn’t going to be so little when he’s born," Doc warns.

"I plan on being as active as is safely possible," I say, "that helps with the delivery doesn’t it?"

"Yes it does," Doc agrees. "A well balanced diet is essential as well even if your weight gain isn’t as much as I’d like,"

"Diet?" Micah frowns, "shouldn’t Rosy eat as much as she wants?"

"Yes but she also needs plenty of fresh fruit and vegies to go along with her daily intake of protein," Doc explains. Micah looks at me as he nods to himself before glancing at Doc then back at me.

"Why don’t you go check the pantry and freezers and write out a list of anything you want from town. I’ll send a couple of the guys in to do some shopping," Micah tells me.

"I take it that’s code for you want a cup of coffee?" I say with a smile.

"Uhh, yeah," Micah smiles relieved.

"Doc?" I ask as I pause in the doorway of the room.

"Yes Rosy?" Doc answers with a smile, as he looks my way.

I glance towards Micah for a second before I focus my attention back on Doc, I know the question I intend to ask will not sit well with Micah but I ask anyway.

"Have you heard how Edwin got on after he left here?" I query. Edwin left the morning after Sam beat him up, unwilling to stay on clan land any longer than completely necessary.

"He isn’t here where he can bother you any longer Rosy, so no need to worry about him," Micah says gently.

"I want to know how he got on with the operation he needed," I insist with a determined frown.

"There’s no need for you to worry about him," Micah says firmly.

"There is a good chance he will need further surgery some time in the future to remove the remaining testicle," Doc tells me in an even tone.

I grimace slightly as I give a faint nod before turning away. I am not sure how I feel or if I even feel anything about Edwin’s injuries. It does not upset me anymore but neither do I feel any compassion for him. I move away from the door and out into the sunroom as I head for the kitchen but pause at the lounge room door and listen intently as I hear Micah’s voice.

"Doc, I’ve wanted to ask you … how long before Rosy can safely …" Micah sounds uncertain and I hear a faint laugh from Doc.

"You’re wondering when you can do more than just sleep with Rosy?" Doc asks levelly.

"Yes. I haven’t tried to do anything with her this last week other than try to make her know she’s safe," Micah says sounding slightly pained. I listen intently, interested in the answer myself. My body is eager for Micah’s touch and memories of Kendal rarely surface when I can feel Micah’s aroused body against mine of a night.