Chapter 17

Rosy’s story:

I glance towards the doorway as Wade walks into the room followed by Micah, Sam and Mitchell. All of them have sober expressions on their faces. The sounds of joking and laughter that usually fill the quarters soon fade away, leaving only the faint sounds of the toms moving expectantly.

"We just got some important news," Micah says, "I’ll let Wade tell everyone since he took the call."

"Everyone take a seat," Wade says levelly and all obey even Marissa. Micah, Mitchell and Sam move to stand among other toms and I glance their way with uneasy curiosity.

"That was Stephan Willoughby … Steven, Mikkarl, straight out … Celeste and Andy are still alive and should recover." Wade says firmly.

"What’s happened?" Steven demands getting to his feet and I glance his way slightly alarmed. Micah has him by the upper arm either restraining him or steadying him I can’t tell which. I glance at Mikkarl and see Mitchell by his side as Mikkarl leans forward with a strained look on his face.

"As you know Andy is visiting your parents for a few days with Celeste turning eighteen. There was a car accident, the car Andy and Celeste were in blew a tyre and went off the road rolling several times. Lucky for them Conner and Kell were right behind them and were able to get them out of the car." Wade explains.

"How bad are they hurt?" Steven breaks in urgently.

"Both have broken bones, bruising and Celeste has some deep lacerations and a concussion but she should totally recover. Andy might have a limp or limited use of one leg but he is alive …" Wade stresses and stops to take a deep breath. "Kell was turning the engine in the rolled car off when it went up in flames …"

"No," Kirby yells and I look his way uneasily but Sam and Malcolm have a hold on him and are trying to calm him down.

"Conner?" Timny asks worriedly.

"He managed to pull Kell out of the car. Both are burnt … Kell real bad, Conner all up one arm and shoulder and across that side of his face." Wade tells us calmly. "Stephan wants you back home at least for a while Steven, and Mikkarl too for a few weeks. Kirby, Timny, Callum if you want to go see your brothers by all means go."

"This is only temporary, until Andy is back on his feet or Dad gets someone to replace him." Steven states as he gets to his feet and heads for the bedroom. Mikkarl follows Steven from the room and I glance at Timny and Callum who are getting to their feet along with Kirby with Malcolm at his side.

"I’ll just be a few days if Conner isn’t too bad," Timny says glancing between Micah, Wade and Mitchell.

"Me too," Callum adds.

"We all agreed you can take as long as you need," Wade tells them as he pats each of them on the shoulder before turning to Kirby. "You stay as long as your brother needs you."

"Thanks," Kirby says and glances between Micah and Mitchell before he hurries for the door.

Silence fills the lounge room and I look down at the muffin on my plate, I am no longer hungry and I glance around the room noting most of the others haven’t finished their breakfasts either.

"I’m making sandwiches they can take with them so they have something to eat, they won’t stop for food." I say scrambling to my feet.

"I’ll help," Donovan says getting to his feet along with me.

"I’ll do some thermoses of coffee," Justin announces as he too stands and follows us into the kitchen. I begin buttering slices of bread while Donovan pulls an assortment of cold meats from the fridge along with cheese, pickles and tomatoes. We soon have a large range of sandwiches made and in plastic bags while Justin adds boiling water to instant coffee in thermoses. I grab several heavy plastic mugs and sit them by the thermoses with containers of sugar and powdered milk.