Christopher's P.O.V ... Being Around You

Christopher's P.O.V

I was driving when my phone started to ring. I reached for it in the passenger’s seat.

Glancing at the screen, I saw it was Holly.

A sensation to throw the phone out the window came over me. Yet, I don’t know how it happened, but, the next second the phone was pressed against my ear.

“‘Ello,” I spoke. Holly huffed through the phone, I knew she was about to go on and on about something, probably something to do with the wedding.

Oh gosh, please don’t let it be about the wedding.

“Hello, is all you say to me?” She exclaimed.

“Actually, I said ‘ello, not hello,” I added sarcastically.

“Are you kidding me? After you missed our cake tasting appointment, you want to be sarcastic to me?! You know, I thought you wanted to get married Christopher! But no! You leave me stranded at a cake shop, and have them asking me every three seconds where the hell you are and if I wanted to just start!” Her whiny voice was like nails on a chalkboard for me. I wished I’d never answered the phone, and just thrown it out the window.

“Holly, get over yourself and realize, you were right, I don’t want this marriage.” Holly started to cry. I groaned not knowing what to do or say to her.

“I-I thought you lo-v-ved me!” I parked the car on the side of the road, for I couldn't drive while talking to her. Slowly, I started to bang my head on the steering wheel as she went on and on about how she loved me, she thought I loved her, she wanted me, she wants to marry me... overall it was torture. I can’t stand when girls cry and Holly was just weeping like crazy.

“I’m sorry,’” was all I told her as I cut off the phone and threw it on the passenger seat. My head leaned on the steering wheel and I started to silently curse at myself.

Why did put myself in this situation?

Gradually, I lifted my head and then saw ... “No way,” I muttered and quickly got out of my car. I ran over to the figure I saw walking down the sidewalk. “Kay!” The figure quickly turned around and looked at me with wide eyes.

“Christopher?” Kay quizzed in a shocked voice. I nodded and walked closer to her. She stood there looking at me with her gorgeous blue eyes.

“Hey, ummm, what are you doing in this neighborhood?” I asked, as I shifted my weight from my right foot to the left.

“I-I ... I was leaving a friend’s house,” the way she stopped in the middle of her sentence showed me she was hiding something. I don’t question her, just nodded and smiled.

“Oh, well need a ride home?” I offered seeing as I didn’t want her to walk home alone and also ... I want to be around her.

“Uhhh, I think it’s best if I walk home ... by myself,” she whispered. Something told me she didn’t really want to walk home alone.

“I’m not taking no for an answer,” I admitted. Kay blushed a little before looking at me with a crooked smile. I frowned though when she started to walk away. “Hey! Where are you going? Come back!” I shouted as I jogged towards her. She abruptly stopped and I saw her hand land on my car door. With a tug she tried opening the door to find it was locked.

“Are you going to open the door and take me home, or what?” She asked me. I said nothing and just gave her a smile that would be ten times wider than the Cheshire cat.

With lightning speed I pulled my keys from my back pocket and unlocked the car. Kay opened her door and got in.

I think I stood there for at least two minutes before my legs went into action and ran to the driver’s side.

Getting in, I started the car and then gave her a look of pure happiness.

Her right eyebrow went up in a questioning expression. I gave her a smirk and put the car in drive before taking off down the road.

"You know, I don't think I can take you home." I confessed after a few minutes of silence.

"What?!" She asked in a high pitched voice.

"I haven't seen you in a while and I want to take you out, my treat,” I told her. Kay chuckled.

"I had a feeling I should have not taken a ride home from you." Her tone was laced with humor.

"You act like I'm a murder," I joked. Kay cleared her throat and was silent for a couple seconds, which meant she was thinking.

"Murder, no, but you do know how to hurt someone and leave." At that moment I could hear the pain that seeped into her voice. I sighed and was truly at a loss for words. I knew I had no excuse for leaving and breaking Kay's heart the way I did.

After all Kay trusted me years ago, she gave me her innocence and every night I kept her for nothing more than play.

But as the days turned to weeks and weeks into months, I began to fall for her. It scared me that the girl I was falling for could hurt me. I didn't like people to have the upper hand in my feelings. So the first chance I saw to leave the city, I did. I left without saying goodbye.

I know that I will regret doing that, all the days of my life.

"Kay, you should know that-" She cut me off.

"Do you love her?" Kay asked as she started gaze at her blue jeans. I was shocked by her question and was a tad bit speechless she asked me that. "It's okay if you do," she added.

"I-I don't," once the words left my mouth I felt a sense of relief. Kay moved her head and I could feel her analyze me as I drove.

"You don't love her, yet you are going to marry her?"

"It's complicated," with that I parked the car. "Stay here," I said before getting out of the car and going into a Chinese takeout place.

It took all of fifteen minutes to order and get the food. I rushed out quickly and got in the car, happy to see she hadn't left. I put the food in the back seat and headed to a secret destination I wanted to take Kay too.

"What did you order?" She asked me.

"I ordered your favorite for you, don’t worry," I honestly spoke. "It seems in the thousands of times we ate Chinese, your favorite order stuck with me," in the corner of my eye I could see a small smile and blush creep on her face.

It wasn’t long before we pulled up to where I wanted to take her.

"Where are we?" She asked looking around at the trees that surrounded the car.

"You don't remember? I brought you here one time," I stated. She shook her head ‘no’. "Well, when we get to the top of the trail and you see what's at the end, I think you will remember," I continued as I reached in the back of the car and got the brown paper bag of food.

Kay and I started to walk the long trail in silence. After a while we did meet the end of the trail and Kay stopped.

"I remember this. I think you told me it was called Falling Cliff," she breathed in awe of the view the cliff was giving her and I. I nodded and glanced over the city with her.

"Yeah, I have always loved the scenic view it gave," I proclaimed.

"I think though, when you brought me here it was nighttime and the whole city was lit up and can remember the stars were so bright." The way she spoke I knew she was reminiscing about that night.

"You're right it was nighttime.” I chuckled at the memory, “I can also remember I had to carry you all the way up and down the trail." I said, as I sat down on the rocky ground. She followed.

"Hey! My ankle was twisted! You told me that you would catch me if I jumped out of my window in an attempt to sneak out." I laughed.

"I caught you, just could keep a hold of you." Kay giggled and reached in the bag. She pulled out a container and opened it.

"You still like curry chicken?" She quizzed as she handed me the container with clear disgusts written in her face. I laughed and took a greedy bit as she watched me. I loved the expression she gave me, with her nose scrunched up. It was just so cute...

“It’s the best,” I said. She shook her head and reached in the bag to get her honey chicken.

“More like, the worst,” was all she stated before digging in. When we were finished I looked at Kay. Her eyes were focused at the view before us. I watched as she bit the bottom of her lip. I knew she was thinking hard about something ... I then had a sudden want ... I wanted to know what she was thinking.

“At this very moment, what are you thinking?” I randomly asked her. I was surprised to see a blush find her cheeks. Kay’s head bobbed to a ‘no’.

“That’s personal,” she replied.

“Oh come on, just tell me.” Her eyes turned to look at me.

“I-I was wondering ... If ... Christopher, do you-”

TO BE CONTINUED!!