Chapter 23

Faye

I flicked my heavy eyelids up to be smiled at by the white ceiling above me. Eyebrows knitted, I sat my knackered body upright and wandered the room with my eyes. I remembered being here but I didn't remember falling asleep. My gaze stopped at the bedside drawer where the lampshade was displayed atop-a pool of warm yellow light warding off the dimness-and a glass of water which I presumed Bruno had left for me. I checked the alarm clock that was on the drawer too and found out that it already was nine in the evening.

I swung the blanket off of my body and noticed the bruise on my knee had now paled. I dropped my legs off of bed, grabbed the glass and drunk all of its content to quench my thirst. Ache pounded in my foot when I stood up. It felt dull though, giving me less difficulty to walk my way to the door and out the room.

At the top of the stairs, I heard voices chattering from ground floor, the only things disrupting the quietness that seemed to be clouding the whole flat at this late time of the night, besides my growling stomach. They sounded foreign and at the same time strangely familiar. I strolled towards the other end of the stairs, appearing at the foyer, my feet not failing me. Although I was slightly wincing in pain on the way, it was bearable. Being a ballerina, I was used to body aches. Muscle cramps, and blisters on my toes had always accompanied me in dancing.

Darting my eyes everywhere, I scanned for any sign of the kids as I made my way towards the living area, stalking past the upright piano that was never been touched even by Bruno. I walked in and found him sitting on the couch. He was too preoccupied in his own business to even sense my presence, watching something on the flat screen where the voices I was hearing were probably coming from. On the other hand, there I was, suddenly too fervent in staring at the still and busied lad to even take a glimpse of what he had his own attention glued all on.

I came closer, innocently glancing at the wall clock to know the time. My gaze was on it the whole time that I didn't notice I was standing beside the couch now. "Faye," Bruno jerked up and my head shot to him. He looked genuinely surprised to see me that he almost even dropped the remote control he was holding as he fumbled on its buttons to pause whatever he was watching. "I-I, d-didn't see you there," he stammered, followed by a nervous laugh. Was it odd that I find it absolutely appealing when a lad is nervous over an encounter with a lady and his words falter upon speaking to her? "Are you alright now?"

"I'm fine. I'm sorry I fell asleep-"

"That's alright. You must be really exhausted from cleaning the whole day," he taunted.

"Em, where are the kids?" I asked.

"Don't worry 'bout them. They're asleep in their room now. I already fed them and tucked them to bed." His mouth quirked up at one side, making his dimple show.

"You did?" I happily queried.

"Uh-huh," he answered proudly.

"And you paid Emily?"

"Yup. You don't have to worry 'bout anything now, Faye," said he. "Does your foot still hurt? And your bruise?"

"I feel better now. Thanks, Bruno." I managed a tiny smile.

"Do you need anything?" he asked.

"Well... I am a little hungry-"

"Cool 'cause I ordered Chinese food." Oh, Chinese food. "Want some fried rice? I'll pop it in the oven."

"I'll do it," I said and started walking away but was immediately stopped by him.

"No, no, I'll do it," he insisted and pushed me down the couch. "Stay here. Give me five minutes." I watched him as he dashed towards the kitchen, slightly baffled with his suspicious behavior.