Chapter 24

Faye

"Faye," a groggy voice slurred.

"Hmm?" I muttered as a response.

"You smell delicious, you know that?" purred the raspy voice as I felt someone’s warm breath whispering kisses to my neck. "Like vanilla and..."

"Crème brulee?" I murmured, a smile searching its way to my face.

"Yeah, yeah. Crème brulee," he replied a little enthusiastically despite the bleary tone of his voice. He had mentioned about my scent several times now, it felt, and I had been constantly reminding him that it was my lotion and hand sanitizer that he must be sensing. I didn't mind though if he say it again, how I smelled like dessert to him. If he want he could say it every day, and I won't get tired of hearing it.

A blasting noise crashed in, piercing through my ears, and the peace in my morning lost existence. At first, I thought someone from the next door was playing rock music until I puzzled out that it was only my phone ringing on the bedside drawer, petitioning to be picked up right away. Shortly, I blamed myself for always forgetting to change my awful ringtone and only remembered it when it played.

With my eyes still closed, I fumbled for my phone where the persistent noise was coming from on the drawer to the left. Not glancing at who my caller was, I pressed answerand brought it to my ear. "Hello?" I droned with my sleepy voice.

"Faye, I need you to arrange a meeting for us this morning," the woman on the phone said.

"Who's this?" I asked.

"It's Amanda," the caller's voice hardened.

"Amanda?" I mumbled. It really had to take a second first before it could sink into my brain what was actually going on. "Amanda!" I yelped, finally coming into senses.

"Are you shouting at me?" she questioned.

"N-no, no," I stammered.

"Just do what I say. I don't want any trouble."

"What? I don't understand. You fired me," baffled, I told her.

"I fired you?" she wondered aloud.

"Uh, yes."

"Ah," she muttered flatly, somehow succeeding to hide the embarrassment in her voice. "Is that so?" said she, gaining composure. "Then I'm hiring you again. I want a meeting at eight a.m. sharp. I want everything to be settled once I reached the office. I'm not gonna answer any questions. Chap, chap!"

An abrupt click nailed me to place before I could say anything else to her. What just happened? I taunted, throwing my hand up to my head. I removed my phone from my ear to check the time. 6:32 a.m.

"Shite!"

I pushed my body upward but was betrayed by Bruno’s strong arm. He was lying face down with his right arm sprawled on my tummy, securing me into place; his head snuggled close to my right ear so I can hear perfectly the snores and sighs withdrawing from his lips. “Bruno,” I groaned as I took his arm off me with all my strength. I was then able to escape from his grasp and raced towards the closet.

“Faye?” Bruno’s slurry voice graced my ears once more as I was rummaging through the closet for something presentable to wear. I tilted my head to see him staring at me inquiringly with his eyelids heavy, a furrow appearing on the gap between his brows. “What are you doing?”

“I, uh, have to go to, em, work,” I groped for words whilst standing at the bottom of the bed, detaching a blue button-down shirt from its hanger.