Chapter 5

Faye

The slight quivering of my hands only made it difficult for me to move faster than usual as I squeaked open a bottle of Whiskey, pouring some onto a wine glass which sat on the editor-in-chief's desk. Once I set the bottle down, I grabbed for the magazines lying on the side of the desk, placing them on the middle and carefully arranging into position similar to how a deck of cards is arranged.

Five minutes left and still there were no signs of Amanda Wright. There was a twisting sensation in my stomach that I couldn't seem to get rid of. Through the glass double-doors of the office, I can see everyone getting all panicky, zooming in and out of office doors and sprinting through the hallway. Heels were click-clacking, flaunting dominance over all the other noises made. Certainly, nothing was more alarming and stressing than Amanda's morning arrival. I began to wonder how the entire company survives this situation every morning.

I made my way back to my corner with Debbie seeing her full on checking her face in her compact mirror. Debbie who was tall and stunning, with darkly outlined eyes and thick black hair that flowed down her shoulders. I collapsed on my chair, my anxiety slowly subsiding.

The shrill scream of a phone burst through the air like the sudden screeching of a car, causing me to tense. I snatched my black leather bag from the side of the desk and quickly zipped it open, the ringing spilled out like water. My ringtone was a song, a kind I don't listen to.

"Don't wanna be an American idiot," To my surprise, I heard Debbie singing along whilst banging her head.

"You know this song?" I asked, my eyebrows lifted up.

All of a sudden, she became rigid as if she had seen a ghost, her lips detached. Her face was scrunched up when she turned to see me. "Who are you?" she said, enunciating each word clearly with eyes that seemed to want to stab me.

Stupefied, my mouth opened in a startled O, my eyes blinking rapidly. "I, uh-" I began tripping over my tongue. "Never mind. I was being sarcastic." I flashed an awkward smile and hastily tore my gaze away from her. I drew my attention back to the ringing and dug in my bag feeling for the phone. Once I got in contact with it, I pulled it out causing something I didn't catch sight of, to accidentally leap out of the bag. It fell on the floor with a tiny clang.

The ringing of the phone had stopped just when I was about to answer the call. I set my phone down the desk without even checking who my caller was. Determined to know what had fallen from my bag, I bent my body down to search for it. On the floor was a small material made of gold, gleaming against the white flourished floor. The gold wedding ring.

I stretched my arm out inching for the thing. It was cold against my palm as I held it. I straightened my body from being inclined and reached back to the desk leaning my elbows on the surface. I found myself balling the ring between my fingers, my eyes fixated on it.

The ring was plain gold. There was nothing else special about it other than the initial "B" engraved on it, which meaning I still haven't figured out. I slipped the ring through my finger and decided to stare at it for a moment. Cold ice slowly started building up in my chest making it difficult to breathe evenly. The sight of the ring around my finger was the last thing I wanted to see yet I was looking at it intently as if trying to break my heart on purpose. I wondered where my real ring had gone, the diamond ring that had always seemed to smile back at me.

Kyle. Where is he? Right now, he was probably standing in front of the perfectly translucent glass window of his office, staring at the city view of New York jam-packed with skyscrapers. My family. Where are they? I imagined my parents and my sister Eleanor sitting at the dining table without me. The table filled with foods that Mom had cooked by herself, but their faces empty with longing.