Chapter 49

Faye

"Something's bothering you."

I pulled the bows of my ballet shoes tightly around my foot and leg. "What do you mean?"

It was Christmas Eve. The weather had worsened but that didn't stop Jane and I from coming over to the theater. There weren't any rehearsal or upcoming play that we needed to attend to. We just wanted to unwind, perhaps. And this was our own kind of unwinding, dancing.

We were alone on the empty stage, the heavy curtains drawn. Jane was sprawled on the floor, setting up the speakers. "I know you," said she. "When something's bothering you and you just want to get it off your mind, you come to the studio and dance it off."

I only shrugged and began doing some stretching, my back turned towards the unfilled seating area.

"Do you still have any plans of seeing him?" she asked, causing me to freeze.

I darted my attention to her. "Who?"

"Bruno," she answered hesitantly and immediately started doing sit-and-reach's so she wouldn't have to look at me. "I'm sorry for asking. I'm just worried about you, y'know?"

"You don't judge me for cheating on Kyle and for leaving him at our own engagement?" I asked, shame overwhelming me.

"Well... it happens," said she, refraining from what she was doing and finally throwing me glances. "Right love, I mean. It comes... when you least expect it," she chuckled. "Most of the time, it's unfair because it comes at the wrong time and in the wrong situation. I think that's what happened to you and Bruno."

I bit my lips, my eyes discovering the floor. "Perhaps," I nodded.

She shifted. "I wish you could've told us about it though, especially when we went to see his concert." People dear to me like my family and a few mates had been believing my sister's entirely edited story of how I met the famous singer himself which she had told to our mother first. No one knew a slight bit about what had really happened. No one knew of the bloody dream. "...Or at least just to me. I thought I was your closest ballet bitch."

I chortled. "You know you are." Certainly, if there was anyone in ballet that I had to tell a secret to, that'd be Jane. She was someone I can absolutely call my friend. The thing I loved the most about her was that she would see only the good in people and neglect the bad. Right now, she was being that kind of friend to me. Perhaps, someday I will tell her about the dream.

"No wonder why you disappeared after the concert. You got us really worried," she wondered aloud. "You met up with him, didn't you?" She wiggled her eyebrows.

I laughed uneasily, smoothing my hands down my tutu.

"So what is it like dating someone as famous as him?" enthusiastically, she asked.

I scrunched up my eyebrows and flicked my eyes back to her. "I... I don't know. I don't think I even realize it that I'm in the presence of a no ordinary human being whenever I was with him."

She smiled staring at me with thoughtful eyes. "It's been a week now, hasn't it? That you haven't seen him or at least talked to him on the phone."

I sighed soundlessly and said what I had been saying for the past couple of days now, "I don't think I should see him anymore."

"Why not?" she cried. "Haven't you forgiven yourself, Faye?" Concern coated my mate's voice.

I put my legs together and embraced them feeling hope had abandoned me. "I don't know, Jane. I think it's better this way."