Chapter 40

Faye

You were dead, were the exact words Meredith had said. No, she had not spoken them in a foreign language but it seemed like it to me and I had been struggling to understand what they mean, repeating them in my head over and over. My lips had gone frozen, so as my throat, making it impossible to give a speech.

In her apartment, it was strangely cold. I didn't even know how I got here. I just remembered her pushing me into the back door of one of the bricked buildings that walled the alley we had been at. The building was particularly a jewelry shop, from what I can recall. But I had found no jewelries being displayed in the room the door led me to; instead I had found a couch, a center table and a television. She had asked me to sit on the couch while she explained to me everything. And by everything, I meant every single detail of what had happened and what was going on. It was like when I had woken up beside Bruno the first time. Like being in the middle of nowhere again and everything was back to zero. But this time I didn't allow her to feed me with lies anymore. She had given me a long and detailed explanation which she claimed was the truth. I was left stunned and flabbergasted after hearing all these, my brain a tornado of thoughts. I sought for answers only to ask for more questions.

"I was dead," I breathed, my eyes trained on the center table, horror flaming in them.

"He saved you," she reminded. She was standing in front of the center table with her back at me, and flipping through the crispy pages of an old book.

"He revived me after you've killed me! You're nothing but evil!" I thundered, anger sizzling in my heart. "You're going to pay for this. My father is a lawyer. He can easily send you to jail in two seconds flat—”

She abruptly whirled around to face me, her eyes in screaming scarlet but her features wrapped with nonchalance. "Your father is a lawyer. I am a warlock."

I swallowed and tore away my eyes from hers, feeling ridiculous for saying what I had said.

"Does everything make sense to you now?" asked she after a moment.

"A kiss of true love? That only exists in fairy tales," I said, pulling my eyebrows together.

"It does now at least in your dreams, and guess what? It's the thing that saved you," she smirked.

"He kissed me when he was drunk and nothing happened," I recalled.

"He wondered about the same thing when I told him this. Nothing happened 'cause he didn't love you then and he wasn't thinking about you when he kissed you. It wasn't love," she explained. "But he kissed you the night you went to the ball and that saved you. It only proves that Bruno's love for you was true." Her words overwhelmed my heart. It felt so good to hear that he loved me, and I was not just dreaming about it.

"It took him forever to do it, knowing you won't know of him once you wake up, and he didn't want to lose you. But you did remember him . . . How?" Finally, the nonchalance was cleared off her face to be replaced with disbelief.

"Why are you asking me this? You are the one who made the bloody liquor," I hissed. "And how could I even forget him? I'm in love with him. He—” I lost my voice and looked down at my fingers. The silence of the moment only made it extra harder for me to go on speaking. "He... means the world to me. I love him."

For three, four, five seconds, all I heard was the ticking of Meredith's wall clock like the sound of arrows slicing through the air. I unfastened my stare from my fingers and focused it back to her.

Her eyes were wide and bright as if something had struck her to her chest, staring blindly at nothing. "Of course," she whispered, realization dawning at her. "Love." She said the word like it was the first time she had ever tasted it in her mouth. "Love is the most powerful thing in the world." The quote sounded very familiar.