Chapter 1

Part I: The Wrong Bed

Faye

An alarm clock beeping loudly in the early morning was probably the most bloody irritating thing ever. Yet it had always been the first thing I hear every morning when I wake up. What a bad way to start a day, really.

I lazily stretched my arm out and reached for the clock to cut off its never-ending sound of horror. Rolling my body still with my eyes shut, I lied on my side facing left, not having any plans of leaving dreamland yet. I can hear the sound of soft snoring and sighing. But they did not belong to me, I was aware of that. I can feel someone breathing on my face and I thought I was only dreaming.

My mind rose and my eyes flew open only when I felt the weight of someone’s hand on my hip and I saw, to my great astonishment, a shirtless guy lying beside me on the bed, his face just an inch away from mine. An earsplitting shriek escaped my lips startling the man from his sleep and causing him to fall out of bed. He hit the floor with a loud thump.

I scrampered to sit up and checked if he was still alive. I found him sitting up on the floor with his hand on the back of his head, groaning in pain. Messing his curly hair up in displeasure, he roared, “What the fuck Gabrielle—“ He broke off once his eyes met mine and a ghastly whiteness spread all over his face. “Shit. Where am I?” he muttered. He hurried to stand up, his eyes scanning the whole place.

I stood up as well on the bed. “Who are you? What are you doing in my room?” I questioned. But as I followed his gaze, I realized something. “Wait. This isn’t my room.” I didn’t remember having such posters of rock bands posted on my walls and piles of vinyl records arranged on the side. Also, the last time I check, my walls were pink, not the color of peach.

Slowly, he turned around to face me. We shared the same bewildered expression on our faces. I cringed a little at the sight of him – a young man standing in front of me wearing only boxers. I tried to ignore the fact that he was fit and it only made me blush. I stared down at my own body and found out that I wasn’t wearing anything besides a tank top and undies. And I didn’t think they belong to me. More horrified than before, I covered my body with the blanket and abruptly grabbed the small lampshade from the bedside table thinking of using it as a weapon. The man took a step forward and I quickly braced the lampshade at him. “Stay back!” I cried. “I’m warning you!”

He just stood frozen with his brows arched. His eyes which seemed very familiar to me were the color of dark chocolate. My eyebrows then pulled together too. “Have I seen you before?” I asked. Then it hit me. Split my infinitives. There’s absolutely no way this is happening, I thought.

“Miss, I’m not a bad guy. I won’t hurt you. I’m really sorry for whatever happened last night—“

“Last night?” I raised my voice. “What do you mean? Where are my clothes?”

“I guess we were both really drunk. I can’t remember what happened,” he said with both his hands on his head. “I don’t even know where my clothes are too.” His face showed desperation.

“This is insane!" I cried out. I watched as he ran to the wooden drawer in the corner and searched for something to wear. For some reason, my throat began to throb. “You’re Bruno Mars, am I right?” my voice was shaking. “Please tell me we didn’t just…” I trailed off not having the guts to say the word.

His eyes found mine. “Fucked?” he said like it meant nothing serious. “Had sex? Had a one night stand? I think we did,” he said whilst slipping through a pair of trousers he just found.

“And you don't care? It doesn’t even bother you?” I scolded. “You’re such an arsehole!

“Look! I’m not what you think I am! I’m not the kind of guy who goes around and fuck random bitches!” he raised his voice as well, a white shirt in his hand. “I have a girlfriend! And it definitely hurts me knowing I just cheated on her with you. I don’t even know you!”