Chapter 17

Faye

The sunlight and its warm touches graced the side of my waking face. I opened my eyes just a tiny crack. The light forced itself through my lashes, blinding my eyes. I sat up and swung my feet out of bed, landing them on warm carpeted floor. As I whipped my head up, I saw a ray of light cascading down from the window beside the bed, drizzled with specks of dust. Rubbing my eye, I walked over to the opened window, the white curtain pulled back. Once I reached it, the familiar stench of city air blasted on my face: smoke, wet ground and human. It was as familiar as coffee every morning, the aroma and taste of it. Rows and rows of shops and other different establishments lined the sides of the road, and beyond them were tall buildings towering against the sunlit sky. I can hear the faint noises of traffic and human activity that brought the city to life.

New York.

This city was home to me, so I think it was odd that I was staring at it now as if it was a wonderland. Excitement was burning in me because at last, I was seeing my family. Hopefully, I do see them. I knew the answers to my questions that had been warring in my mind for weeks and weeks now were just around the corners of this city. I had to gather them like they were the missing puzzle pieces to this life I had now that seemed to me was as complicated as a jigsaw puzzle. This was my chance to at least fill this dent in my life. I can't let this slip away.

I wearily leaned my head on the window frame and heaved a sigh.

Debbie and I had checked in to a hotel in Brooklyn. I remembered the place. Kyle's office was not far from where we were. I could go there in no time to meet him, but that was if he still worked there.

Debbie decided we sleep here for the rest of our stay in New York. I didn't know why she didn't choose to stay in her parents' house instead. I told her I'll be fine if she stays there and I check in alone. But she wouldn't listen and told me she'd rather stay in a rotting hotel room than share rooms with her sister. I was vexed. I wanted to ask her what was wrong with sharing a room with her sister. But she seemed too determined in ignoring any subject that involved her family. Tomorrow was her sister's wedding and I didn't know what to expect from her. I wasn't even sure if I was invited. I thought it was best if I should just stay in the hotel.

.

"Remind me again why you want to come here?" Debbie who was stirring her mug of coffee inquired. She looked younger without make-up especially those black outlines rimming her eyes always. Her thick wavy hair was lazily stumbling down her shoulders.

We were sitting on her white-sheeted bed having breakfast. A plate of toast for was placed on the bed for us to dig in. "I want to see my parents," I answered as casually as ever, hugging my mug with my hands which gave away a cozy warmth.

Debbie seemed to jolt at my statement. Bewilderment etched her features when she gazed at me. "But you don't want to see your family."

My eyebrows pulled together. "Why would I not want to see them?"

She stared at me as though she was trying hard to read my mind and just gave up on it as she eventually swatted her hand. "Whatever."

I brought my mug to my mouth and took a sip from my coffee. The moment turned to stillness as we grew more engaged with our breakfast and not bothering to open up a conversation. A sickening smell then filtered the air making me scrunch my nose up. I glanced at Debbie and saw smoke flowing out of her mouth in grayish swirls. "You smoke?" I frowned.

"What kind of question is that?" she scoffed dropping her body on a pillow.

"I can't take the smell—” she broke me off.