Chapter 36

Faye

"Are you sure you don't feel anything else at all?"

The doctor queried whilst examining my eye with a flashlight-like equipment that he directed to it.

I blinked after, adjusting my vision, and answered, "Yes. I'm perfectly fine now. Maybe it really was just my hangover."

I had been given an aspirin for my headache and after about only fifteen minutes, the headache had gradually disappeared and I was all right again. It was just a headache. A really painful one though. I still can recall the horrible sensation it had given me, my brain like the earth cracking in half.

"Are you serious? You were screaming like crazy. You just scared the crap out of me! That couldn't have been just a normal hangover," Eleanor reacted.

In the clinic, I was sitting on the hospital bed. The doctor was standing in front of me with a clipboard in hand, scribbling something on it. Behind him were my sister and my mother who both had their arms folded across their chests.

"I don't know. I just don't feel any pain anymore," I said shaking my head.

The doctor finally screwed his head up from his clipboard and told me, "I don't see anything serious about your condition." Handing me a piece of paper, he added, "Just follow these prescriptions and I think you'll be fine."

"Thanks," I replied, glancing at the confusing strokes he made on it that he expected me to understand.

A ringing split in the air. It was mum's phone which she slipped out from the pocket of her blazer.

"Who's it, mum?" Eleanor asked before mum could answer the call.

"Your father. He's so worried," said mum sliding her thumb across her phone screen and bringing it to her ear. Dad couldn't come with us to the clinic because of an appointment he didn't want to miss. He drove us here though. "I'm not done with you yet, Faye Anne," she stated before excusing herself and leaving the room.

I gazed at Doctor Gilmore who went over to his desk, and called for his attention again. "Doc, I have a question."

"Yes?" he prompted, dropping his butt on his chair.

I fumbled with my hands. "How long can a person's dream take?"

"Dream?" he wondered, looking at me quizzically.

"Dream as in... dreaming in your sleep," I said.

I sensed Eleanor's inquisitive eyes glued on me.

Doctor Gilmore straightened up, lines creasing his forehead. "Well, I'm no expertise on the science of dreaming but I do know that a person can have up to six or seven dreams in one sleeping," he explained.

"Is it possible for a dream to feel so real that when you wake up from it, last night felt like it happened more than a month ago or depending on the days it went by in your dream?"

Narrowed eyes and a perplexed look was all the doctor could give me.

"She thinks she was with Bruno Mars," my younger sister pointed out.

The door slowly opened producing a long squeak, disrupting the conversation. Crashed in was a man whom anyone can guess to have come straight from his office. My heart took a sweeping dive inside my chest when I recognized him. He gently closed the door behind him and began sauntering towards me. "Hi," he greeted, his blue eyes searching me.

In an instant, I forgot everything. I forgot why I was confused. I forgot who Bruno was and what he meant to me. Kyle brought with him a massive flood that washed them away.