"I'm not in control..." (Ch. 41)

Chapter forty-one:

One week later:

Beep…Beep…Beep…Beep.

Glowing green lines slowly zipped up and down on Ben’s recently installed heart-monitor machine. He was finally back home and I couldn't be happier. He lied in his brand new hospital bed; he looked pretty cozy, all I wanted was the best for him. I just hoped inside that head of his, he was comfortable, that’s all that really mattered. I was just glad to finally have him back home.

As I sat and watched over Ben as he slept, or whatever you call it, my phone started ringing. It was Andrew. “Hello.” I said when picking up the phone and answering.

“Harley…” He began, sounding deeply depressed; something was wrong, I could feel it. “I don’t want to do this but I know how much he deserves it. For putting you through so much, for abandoning you—I have to make him pay, he has to pay, Harley! And he will…” I was confused toward him at first, what did he mean? Who was he talking about? Who was he going to make pay? Then, the answer became obvious and crystal clear.

Jack.

“No, Andrew, don’t do anything you’ll regret—wait, who are you talking about?” My heart stopped for a second, it seemed. “Andrew, don’t do anything you’ll regret!” I commanded, when fully realizing he was talking about Jack.

“I’m going to be your hero, he will pay.”

“Andrew, if you do something stupid it’ll only get you into more trouble!” I alerted him, but he was in refusal, I knew nothing was going to work.

“If you want to watch him die, be at the old technical warehouse on the west side of Liberty before nine o’clock tonight.” He addressed, an evil sound bolting in his voice.

“Andrew, wait–’’ I called, but all I got was a dead line, he hung up. I eagerly looked up at my wall clock in horror; it was already going on eight, which meant I only had about an hour. I ran across the room and grabbed my car keys, when all of a sudden someone started knocking on the door.

“Harley, it’s me!” Yelled Eddie through the door, sounding highly concerned. I hurried crossing the room to let him in.

“Have you watched the news today? Jack’s missing! He-he’s been missing since last Thursday!” He uttered, running fingers through his thick brown hair. My flesh turned white at the news he brought; this was really happening, Andrew was really going to kill Jack! My hands instantly began to tremble as I received Eddie’s information. We had to act.

“I know this sounds crazy but, Andrew has him kidnapped and is holding him up at some warehouse on the west side of Liberty. He basically said he was going to kill him if we didn't get there before nine o'clock!" I explained as quickly as I could, rushing toward the door.

"What?! Harley, that's crazy!" He exclaimed.

"He. Just. Called. Me. Eddie." I informed him, expressing my best warning face.

“Okay, okay, I believe you. I’ll go with you!” 

My heart pounded as if it were going to explode, and Eddie driving like a manic didn’t help any. I seriously thought we were going to wreck a few times.

“So, what’s the deal with Andrew and Jack anyway?” Eddie asked as we passed through a stop light that he didn’t even seem to acknowledge; I didn’t say a word because I was just as eager to get there myself, but if we got pulled over by the cops, he was paying the tickets.

“I don’t know! Andrew thinks by doing this it’ll make him my hero because of what Jack did to me.”

“What did Jack do to you?” He asked.