It's on me (Ch. 14)

The song on the side has nothing to do with the story, I love this song.

Chapter fourteen:

Monday morning:

Once Zoey explained my routes, trips, payments, and fees – it took over an hour for her to finally wrap it up – I was ready for takeoff. I have to wear this taxicab hat and jacket that makes me look like a dork, but I’m not complaining, not on the first day at least. I’ve already picked up two passengers, a non-stop arguing couple; both of them telling me to slow down or speed up – sometimes at the same time – and it was nerve-racking.  The next two stops were quite smooth until the first guy heard the price, he freaked out and I almost had to call the cops, again nerve-racking. The next one wouldn’t stop talking on the phone, and my latest just got dumped by her boyfriend…and she hasn’t stopped crying.  

“Okay, we’re here.” I say nervously, almost yelling, trying to raise my voice so it would overpower the sobbing girl in the backseat; I was so anxious for her to get out my fingers were tapping on the steering wheel uncontrollably.

“Thank you for being such a good listener.” She said between sniffs and wiping her nose with a worn-out-tissue, her voice so uneven you could barely understand what she said. “Keep the change.” She added handing me a twenty dollar bill.

“Thanks.” I mumble when sighing deeply; feeling my spine almost shake out of place, I haven’t been this nervous in a while…especially while trying to drive. And then the girl opened the car door next to her and finally left. Realizing she was gone, I closed my eyes and banged my head against the headrest behind me and whispered to myself: “I don’t how much more of this I can take.” I look to the small car clock and it read almost 7:30, it’s this early and I’m already beat?

Suddenly I hear the door open and someone getting in the backseat. “I’ll call you back.” A familiar soft and clear woman’s voice traveled my ears, and it seems she was on her cell phone hanging up with whoever she was talking to. I shift into drive before glancing back at the woman, and I recognized her, but she had her head bowed as she searched through her purse for something, so I didn’t get a very good look at the lady. “Where to?” I simply ask, my voice sounding a tad weak.

“New York Medical, the nearest hospital.” She spoke, lower than before. I turn around to view her completely, for some reason concerned with the knowledge of her need to visit a hospital.

“Are you hurt?” I ask examining her body for any wounds, “I used to be a doctor-”

“No, no.” She interrupted, a chuckle surfacing in her voice. “That’s where I work…”  She trailed off finally looking up at me; her eyes shooting darts of realization and a bit of confusion. “Jack?” She questioned, observing my face carefully in case of being mistaken.

“Harley?” I finally realized it was her, Harley; should have known, just look into those green eyes and you’ll never forget their name. I continued to look upon her, my eyes roaming the perfect hourglass figure, when suddenly her full and very inviting lips formed a big and ongoing smile.

“I never thought I’d see you again.” She stated as her eyes grew a size larger.

“Maybe it’s fate?” I joked sending her a smile back, forcing my voice to sound more attractive.  

“Or maybe I’m just one blessed woman?” She replied giving a wink, her once soft voice changing to a more alluring sophisticated tone, it suits her, I think she might be imitating me though. All of a sudden Harley started to chuckle, “It’s great to see you, Jack.” She said, forcing me to give my mischievous grin, making her giggle cutely, and creating a nice atmosphere.