Facing the unchangeable(s) (Ch. 39)

Chapter thirty-nine:

Karma is a powerful thing. I never thought Jack seeing Andrew and I share a kiss would happen, ever, or actually kissing Andrew at all; I mean, why in the world would I kiss him? Its too late for Andrew, he’s done destroyed what relationship we had; maybe its God’s way of punishing Jack for hurting and lying to me? Because any other time I probably would have just ignored Andrew’s apologies; it all begins to make sense now. Yes, Andrew is getting help, but that doesn't mean I think we should get back together.

Coming to think of it, maybe I did kiss him just to get back at Jack? Because in reality, I cannot stand Andrew, even though down here, I'll love him in a Godly way till the day I die; the Lord expects me to love everyone, not matter their faults ...even Jack's.

I sat on the couch staring down at my phone, the events from the hospital still fresh in my mind, but I wasn’t going to let Jack or the kiss bother me. I had just gotten home and was expecting a call from Ben’s doctor, they were supposed to call me about some kind of test results; I wanted them to tell me at the hospital, but they insisted that I go home to get some rest.

Suddenly, the phone began ringing, I quickly answered: “Hello.”

“Hello, miss Carter, I hope you’ve gotten some rest.”

“Oh, rest isn’t an issue for me. So, how did Ben’s results come back? Is everything okay?” I nervously questioned him, chewing and biting on a few fingernails, for some reason sensing that the results were going to be bad; maybe because of that odd dream I had? I know God wants me to have faith, but lately, my faith has been at ground zero, and weird dreams of your son walking off into the sunset holding Jesus’ hand doesn’t help matters.

“No I’m afraid not. I’m very sorry to say that a brain tumor is unfortunately growing inside of you son’s head. Its small but over time it can grow. We can’t operate on him due to the damages and injures from the car accident. There’s not much else we can do for him; we’re very sorry, miss Carter, you have our sympathy from all the staff. I would like to inform you that your son would probably be more comfortable in his own home rather than at the hospital, it would make it a lot easier on you too.”

My heart began to rapidly beat at the frightening news; I was terribly sad for my son, yes, but the thought of losing him scares me even more. I honestly don’t know how much more I can take.

“I don’t know of a nice way to put it, but, miss Carter, we need your son moved out of the hospital within the next thirty days or less …we have more patients facing the same and much bigger things, as you know the hospital has limited space.”

Limited space? It's a hosptial! Oh I just knew this was coming...

I ran fingers through my hair and began massaging my forehead, wondering how I was going to afford to have Ben moved back to the house. I don’t have that kind of money; I know I’d have to buy him a bed and heart-monitor machine, that alone will cost a fortune! How in the world will I be able to afford it all?

“What will be the final expense?” I asked in a weak and uneven voice, trying my best to keep steady.

“A bed and heart-monitor alone will be a little over ten-thousand dollars, but your son has medical insurance, right? So it shouldn’t be a problem.”

“Neither me or my son has medical insurance, doctor.”

It all suddenly became quiet, what did you expect?

Many moments later he started to cough rather nervously. “Ahem…ahem…ahem. Well uhm—”

“Well now, doctor, sounds like you need a doctor.”