My hero (Ch. 26)

Chapter twenty-six:

After Jack was finished working on the roof for the night, he decided to head for a small convenient store to pick Harley up some medicine and a few things just to comfort her. Quietly, Jack walked into Harley’s bedroom to see if she were awake yet, holding a glass of water in one hand; she raised up and mumbled a weak: “Hey.” Her voice sounded dry; to her if felt sore and irritated much like her whole body.

“Hey.” Jack replied entering the room and taking a seat beside her on the other side of the bed, then siting the glass of water on the small side table. “Felling any better?” He asked petting her hand gently. “I brought you something that might make you feel better.” He added sitting a bag full of stuff next to him. Harley looked at him through her tired eyes as a small smile formed along her thin lips. She nodded and sat up a little, propped comfortably against two large pillows.

“You didn’t have to do all this for me.” Harley said causing her voice to crack slightly, straining her vocal cords and throat that forced a bolt pain to go through her.

“Yeah I did, and I really don’t want to argue.” He joked before pressing his hand to her forehead. “Feels like you’ve got a fever, wonder what gave ya’ the cold so quickly?” His hand slowly slid down to her cheek, holding it and creasing his fingers in her gently. Jack smiled observing her beauty, to him, even if she was sick, she still looked just as amazing as always.  Her cheeks turned a soft red when she noticed him starring at her, a small playful giggle passed her lips and she returned him a smile back.

“Are you hot?” He asked taking out a cold rag, Harley nodded and then he took the rag and held it to her forehead. Then Jack pulled out a small bottle of medicine that would help make her fever go down.  He removed the rag and wiped her forehead off as sweat and water dripped down just below her hair line.

“Here, take some fever reducer.” Jack said handing her the glass of water from the side table, and a pill for her fever.

“Thank you.” She mumbled, slowly swallowing the medicine and taking a sip of water. Then Jack propped his feet up on the bed and scooted closer to Harley, placing his arm around her and laying it across the headboard.

“No problem.” He said pecking her cheek. “Now, you hungry? I thought your throat might be sore so I brought you ice-cream and frozen-yogurt—I didn’t know which you liked best, so I just bought both.” He told her holding out both choices in each hand for Harley to pick, a little pink spoon sticking up out of the bowl in either of them.  

“Ice-cream is fine.” Harley answered, forming a hard gaze at the ice-cream he held; the creamy villain cravings were calling her, especially her sore throat. “Thank you.” She mumbled again as Jack handed her the little bowl of ice-cream. Once she finished eating – her throat nearly cured from the cold dessert – Harley rested her head between Jack’s neck and shoulder. He felt soft to her, so soft she thought she could fall back to sleep. Jack’s arm wrapped around her snugly, that eventually pulled her closer, his fist balled, tightening his grip so that she would feel safe.

“Where’s Ben?” She asked softly, nuzzling her head into his warm chest for comfort.

“He’s upstairs asleep, he said something about it being his bedtime, and that you would be mad if he stayed up any later.”

“Yeah, only because he stayed up till…one o’clock in the morning with his friend last night.” Harley explained before taking a deep breath, smelling his fresh scent of wood and whatever cologne he used this morning. Jack took his hand and removed the hair from her forehead and pressed his lips to her clammy head. “I feel a lot better.” Harley mumbled gripping his waist tighter.