Harley (Ch. 4)

Chapter four:

“Great.” Jack mumbled as he observed the sky; it was starting to get very cloudy, and the wind was blowing quite viciously at times. As he continued to walk the busy streets; things wandered his mind, he wondered if he could ever get his life back to normal, and get himself straightened out. He wondered if he could rebuild a family or get into a steady relationship.

While in prison, he never planned anything for his life for when and if he would ever get released, he never thought that one day would ever come, he always considered himself being released as pure fiction, but now it was a reality, something he was living.

Just as Jack wondered if it could get any worse, it started to rain. He walked a few more blocks, pressing his way through the constant drops of cold, dripping, wetness that seemed to never end. The sky turned a deep and uninviting black as a thick, chilly, breeze violently flew by, and as for Jack, it was freezing him to no end.

His teeth chattered as the cool air brushed against his face, making him tighten the thin coat he wore. Jack passed many people with umbrellas and something to cover them with, but no one would spare him anything to keep from getting wet. Jack thought of them as careless and cruel.

But just when he thought there was no one on the streets with a heart, a woman stopped him. “Sir, don’t you have an umbrella? It’s raining awfully hard for you not to have one. ” The woman asked as she drew closer to Jack, causing him stop in his tracks. He turned around meeting her face to face. His eyes examined her, taking in all of her beauty; he thought he had seen an angel.

“…. No I-I.” He trailed off once a bolt of lightning struck, shining enough light over the woman to enable him to get a better glimpse of her beautiful features; long thick chestnut hair, electric green eyes that could light up the whole world, and a slender nose with thin inviting lips below; she was beautiful.

He cleared his throat becoming a bit nervous and stared toward the lovely lady for a moment, gathering correct sentences in his head. “I…I don’t have an umbrella, miss.” He replied, finally, his eyes roaming her from head to toe.

“I have an extra one in my purse, would you like to use it?” She asked in a kind voice, expressing to him that she cared. Jack wondered why she wanted to help him, “A young beautiful woman wants to help me? Why?” He asked himself in privet.

“No I couldn’t, but thanks for the offer.” He declined, shaking his head and hand out to her in sync.

“You’ll get sick in this cold rain, take it.” She insisted, pulling out a spare umbrella and placing it in his hand.

“Thank you.” He muttered through the rain and gave her a gracious smile while nervously gazing throughout her every feature, and she returned one back, only causing him to blush.  “I know this is a weird question but…could you help me find a local homeless shelter?” He asked, his eyes dropping to the ground in light embarrassment.

“Of course I can. I’m pretty sure there’s one on Rockford Street, I can get you a taxi.” She offered once again.

“Thanks but I’ll walk.” Jack declined, giving her one last smile before walking off.

“Wait…”  She called with a slight leap of concern in her voice as she gripped onto his hand; he spun around to meet with the kind woman again, this time a bit curious.

“Look, I can’t just let you pay for a taxi ride; you’ve done enough for me. Thanks for everything uhmm…” Jack said searching for her name, never removing the admiring gaze he had upon her.

“Harley.” She answered getting lost into his eyes; she had always loved dark haired and blue eyed men but, Jack was different, he intrigued her more than usual. “Please let me help you, sir.” She begged releasing his hand once realizing she was still held onto him. Jack’s heart started thumping once she continued to make eye contact with him, he didn’t know why though.