Chapter 21

Joyce didn't know what to say.

"I don't know if I'm qualified!" She told Jeana.

"Hmmm... Well, if you want, I'll show you. You can start tomorrow." Jeana replied.

"O-okay." Joyce said, "I'd like that."

"Great! Here," She said handing Joyce a few gold coins, "I'll pay for your room for the night."

"Thank you!" Joyce said sincerely.

Joyce took the coins and slowly got up from her stool. She turned and started walking towards the stairs. But then she turned around and asked one more question, "Jeana, why are you choosing me?"

Jeana looked up from her glass. "Gwen, I can sense that you have power. Perhaps a power like my own. I can teach you to use it and I trust you to lead well."

Joyce nodded and smiled. She turned around and headed up the stairs. 

Jeana senses my power?? What does that mean? Does she suspect that I'm the woman in red?

Joyce didn't know. She slowly went up the stairs. There was the inn keeper at a desk. 

"Hello, I need a room for the night." Joyce said to the middle-aged woman. Even she was dressed in leather and had short, graying hair. 

"Alright! Come with me." She replied.

The woman showed her to a room and Joyce gave her Jeana's coins. 

Joyce pushed the door open and saw a single bed tucked in the far corner of the room. There was a window with the moonlight cascading through it. It was a nice little place for the night.

Joyce closed the door behind her and immediately threw herself on the bed.

What am I going to do? She thought. Is this a trap? I'm honestly not sure... I wish there was a way to contact Mirabelle. She would know what to do! Or even Jackie...

Joyce thought hard and concentrated...

I need to speak with Mirabelle. She thought.

Energy raced through her, but fizzled. 

She tried again.

Nothing happened.

She tried a few more times.

Still nothing...

I guess I will just have to work this out on my own, Joyce thought. She relaxed in her bed and closed her eyes. And soon, she was asleep.