Chapter Twenty Three: Good Times Never Last

Hi guys! Sorry this chapter is REALLY short but hopefully will upload again really soon!

Thank you to everyone who has been reading and also to those who are asking me all the time to update because without you I wouldn't bother continuing writing and its amazing to see that people want you to keep writing!

Please fan or vote or comment, I'd love to hear what you think. :)

*****

Recap:  “-I am. I think he’s delusional. Mental. Crazy. I don’t know but he’s changed. He talks to himself, mumbling about things that make no sense, always talking about you, Josh and Jacob. He cuts himself but after he does that he’s really happy. I think he’s delirious.”  Tracy said.

“We need to get him help then! Now! Before he does something stupid!” I exclaimed, standing up.

“That’s why I came to you. He will only listen to you. When we dated he never mentioned his dad except for the fact that he had huge issues, and now I’m worried he might have the same thing.” Tracy responded.

“I’ll go find him now. “ I murmured, hopping up and jogging down the stairs despite the fact I was in heels.

“Lola what is going-“ 

“- I can’t talk, Josh I need to find Sam!” I said, rushing past him.

“Tell me why.” He said, standing in front of me.

“This is not the time to do this, Josh! It’s an emergency!” I cried out.

“He’s gone, Lola. He’s already left.” 

“SAM!” I screamed, running out of the apartment block, heels in hand and tears streaming down my face. I pushed myself harder, begging my legs to take me faster and ignoring the cuts that were forming on my feet.

“SAM CAN YOU HEAR ME, PLEASE!” I called out exasperated.

“please be okay, please be okay, please be okay.” I re

petively said to myself.  

I ran down the street and took a left turn, knowing this was the way to his house. Frustrated by this stupid tight police uniform, I continued to run. The tears started to pour down my face as I started to realize if he did something it would be my entire fault. I’ve already put him through enough pain. An outline of a tall dark body began to form up ahead and my heart leapt with hope as he turned and face me.  “Lola? What’s wrong?” Sam said.

I ran forward and wrapped my arms around him pulling him into a hug, trying to suppress my sobs. “I thought….” I started. “I thought you were going to hurt yourself again. We can get you help Sam, you don’t have to go through this alone.” 

“Lola, what on earth are you talking about. I’m fine. I’m just heading home early to go to sleep.” He said casually.

“But… your cuts and the things you said…” I said quietly.

“Nothing I can’t handle myself, Lola. Go enjoy yourself okay? I’m fine.” Sam responded, giving my hand a squeeze before he turned and walked off.

“Bye Sam.” I said quietly.

“Goodbye, Lola.” He replied, looking back at me with a pained expression. 

I sighed and started slowly walking back to Josh’s apartment, thinking about Sam. And the look he gave me before he left. “Where were you?” I heard a voice say from behind me. I turned around to see Josh standing outside, looking worried. I walked past him, not in the mood to be given an interrogation. 

“I was with Sam.” I replied curtly.

A look crossed Josh’s face as he frowned. “Why?”

“I’m worried about him, what if he does something stupid? He’s depressed.” I responded.

“Maybe him always seeing you or us together isn’t good for him because it’s like we are rubbing it in his face.” Josh said softly. 

“You’re right, I guess. I just can’t watch him go down this road, I still care about him.” I replied. Josh raised his eyebrows at me. “As a friend” I added quickly.

“Come on.” He said opening his arms for me and pulling me into a hug. “You really do have bad luck at parties, let’s just have some fun.” 

I smiled and took Josh’s hand as we walked back up to the apartment. 

“SHOTS!” Nolan yelled out as Josh and I opened the door. 

“Fuck it!” I said walking forward and picking up a shot and chugging it down, trying to block out my worriedness of Sam.

Josh grinned at me and picked two up and handed one to me. I smiled back and we then simultaneously swallowed another shot. 

“Girl where have you been?” I heard Victoria say from behind me.

“Don’t ask.” I replied with a small smile. 

Sensing my discomfort she handed me a bottle. “Here have this. It’ll help.” I took the drink from her and took a sip. The liquid burned my throat as it went down and I gagged, screwing my face up.

“What is this shit!” I laughed.

“Just a little magic remedy. Just chug it down, you’ll feel better in no time.” She replied, her eyes sparkling. 

I shrugged and took a large gulp of it before screwing up my face again.

“It takes some getting use to…” Victoria said.

“Hmm, wonder why.” I responded, drinking some more. 

After some time of stumbling, laughing and dancing around, the night started to feel like I was in a dream. The edges of the room spun making walking difficult and I couldn’t stay focused on anything. I remembered laughing and having fun, but already the night was becoming a blur. 

“Alright, off to bed.” I heard Josh say to me before putting his arms around me to support me. I giggled and stumbled away from him. 

“I’m not done partying.” I grumbled.

“Oh yes you are. Everyone went home an hour ago.” Josh replied.

“What?? We only arrived back to the apartment ten minutes ago!” I replied, confused.

Josh laughed and patted my head. “God, never again shots for you.” 

I groaned, annoyed at myself that I had basically forgotten my own birthday celebration. A wave of nausea shot through me and my stomach lurched. “Never let me drink again, please.” I mumbled, holding my stomach. Josh rubbed my back sympathetically. 

“Come on, let’s head off to bed.” He said, taking my hand and pulling me to the bedroom. 

*

I woke up the next morning to the sound of my phone ringing. “Answer it.” Josh said. 

“Noooo.” I mumbled, digging my face into my pillow and trying to block out the thumping headache and queasiness. 

“I’ll get it then.” Josh said, reaching over me and grabbing my phone. “Hello, Lola’s phone!” Josh said, cringingly enthusiastic. A few moments passed when I heard him say. “Oh, oh no.” I looked up to face him and saw that his face had turned white and he was staring at me worriedly. “We’ll be right down.” He said again into the phone before hanging up.

“Who was it? What happened?” I asked.

“Lola, get your stuff we need to leave now.”

“No, Sam! Tell me what happened!” I said firmly.

“It was someone from the hospital. Sam’s in hospital in a critical condition… He killed Jacob.”