Chapter Six: The spark.

I woke up the next morning feeling confident. Throughout the night I had thought long and hard about what Victoria had said and what I was going to do, and now I know. This little angel is going bad. I mean, Tracy has already ruined the only good thing happening in my life so I have nothing to lose, right?

I checked my phone to see that I had a missed call from Sam. Why would he be calling me? I checked my voicemail to see if he had left me a message. “Hey Lola, it’s Sam. Uhh, um, I was just wondering if you would like to get coffee or something, I can come pick you up. Send me a text if you’re interested.” 

I quickly replied saying I would love to and I would meet him at my house in an hour. “Victoria, WAKE UP! I have to leave!” I said, pushing her shoulder.

“Ahh, fuck off, bitch.” She mumbled into her pillow. Shocked and embarrassed I began to tiptoe out when she called back out to me.

“Lola! I’m sorry I thought you were Louise, haha.” I burst out laughing at the thought of her actually saying this to her step mum.

“I have to go,” I said, packing up my stuff. “I’m meeting Sam for coffee in an hour, but thank you so much for having me over, and for helping me with everything.” Victoria stood up and hugged me.

“You’re welcome. And don’t forget stage one of the makeover starts Monday afternoon!” Victoria called as I was leaving her house.

An hour later I was sitting in the car with Sam driving to the coffee shop. I told him about how I met Victoria and then we ended up having a sleepover. “Victoria Evan!?” Sam said, clearly surprised. “Wow, that girl is really something. Did you know that Victoria and Tracy use to be best friends?” 

I couldn’t believe what I had heard; Tracy hardly seems like the type of person that Victoria would hang out with let alone be best friends with. “What happened?” I asked, trying to sound casual

. “Well,” Sam said pulling up to the coffee shop, “Tracy moved to our school two years ago. She had no friends and was completely alone. Victoria was the “it” girl at the time and was head cheerleader. She pretty much just took Tracy under her wing. In less that six months Tracy had taken all of Victoria’s friends, slept with Victoria’s boyfriend but worst of all she took Victoria’s position as head cheerleader.

I laughed out loud. “A cheerleader? Victoria? I don’t think so.”

Sam didn’t laugh with me, but said, “I know it’s weird but Victoria didn’t use to be like this… she was the opposite of what she is now. But to be honest I like her better this way, the bad ass attitude definitely suits her.” We laughed together and ordered our coffees.

“But enough talk about Tracy… I’m sick of hearing her name. Have you talked to Jacob yet?” Sam said, looking kind of nervous.

“Ummm, no. Surprisingly I hadn’t even thought about him yet today.” I replied, looking up at Sam. I swear I literally saw his face light up. After we had our coffee and paid, Sam turned to me.

“I want to take you to my favourite place, Lola, no one has ever been here with me before.” 

Twenty minutes later Sam and I pulled up outside of what just seemed like bush. Sam walked around my side of the door and opened it for me. I was impressed at his action- Jacob would have never done something like this for me. We walked together into the bush, having idle chat. 

After about fifteen minutes or so, Sam took my hand and held it softly. “We’re almost here,” he said quietly, “close your eyes, Lola.” I closed my eyes and let Sam lead me around the corner, trusting him to make sure I wouldn’t fall over. “We’re here, open your eyes!” Sam said.