Chapter Sixteen: Love Triangles

RECAP:  Sam and Josh were staring daggers at Miles and Miles was still smirking at me. I looked back up a moment later to see them all looking at me, as if waiting for an answer or something. I looked for Victoria for an escape but she was no where to be seen…. What the hell was I going to do?

______________________________________________________________________

“Lola, can I speak to you please?” Sam asked, anger seething through his body. Josh took a step closer to me, his body slightly in front of mine as if he was trying to protect me. 

“Of course.” I said, stepping out from behind Josh and taking Sam’s hand. 

Together we walked outside where the music was quieter and sat down on Victoria’s swing that was connected to the roof of her balcony. 

“What is he doing here, Lola? I don’t know what to think, are we still together?” Sam asked, rushing his words.

“They didn’t catch Jacob and they have no idea where he is.” I said quiety. “I was scared to be by myself, mum’s gone overseas for a while so yeah. I didn’t tell you because I know that you would skip school to be with me so I asked Jacob to stay in with me and make sure I’m okay. I know it’s really inappropriate but I just felt like I had no other choice. Sorry.” I continued, looking at my feet.

“Lola, you need to be open with me. You should have told me about Jacob and your mum, I would have sorted something out. Holidays start next week so I can come look after you.” Sam smiled at me, taking my hand. “You’re my girlfriend, it’s my job to protect you.” I looked up from under my fringe, unsure of what to reply to what he had said. “What?” Sam asked, looking worried.

“It’s just…. You never asked me to be your girlfriend. I wasn’t sure if we were or not so I was really confused for a while.” I said, laughing awkwardly.

Sam picked me up slowly and placed me on his knee. “Lola Rose, will you be my girlfriend?” Sam asked looking very serious and concerned. 

“I sure will!” I said, laughing with joy. An image of Josh flashed into my mind and I felt a twang of guilt, but quickly pushed the thought aside and squeezed Sam’s hand.

“Let’s go inside.” Sam said, pulling me inside Victoria’s house.

When we got inside there was a massive group of people dancing. I saw Miles chatting up a girl who was twirling her hair and giggling, he was doing his typical charming smile at her, which was obviously working. I saw Josh sitting on the couch by himself just looking around. His face lit up when he she saw me, but quickly grew dark as he saw Sam’s hand attached to mine.

All of a sudden, an extremely drunk Louis stumbled over to us, and slung his arms around us. “Well if it isn’t my favourite love birds!” Louis slurred. “Have you seen Victoria? I’m going to go ask her to be my girlfriend!” Louis’ legs gave way as he fell over, pulling me down with him. I saw Josh quickly stand up with a worried expression on his face.

“I’ll go take care of Louis. I’m sorry Lola I just can’t leave my mate like this.” Sam said, picking up Louis and putting his arm around Sam’s shoulder. “I’ll probably have to take him home, but I’ll call you later.” Sam said with sad smile.

“Drive safe,” I said, kissing him on the cheek.

Sam left with Louis screaming out Victoria’s name. I couldn’t help but laugh at how ridiculous he looked. “Let’s dance.” I heard Josh say from behind me, taking my hand.

“I don’t know…” I said uncomfortably, I didn’t want Sam to find out he would be so pissed.  Josh ignored me and linked his fingers with mine. When we got the dance floor he pulled me close to him, not breaking eye contact with me. He put his hands on my lower back and I wrapped mine around his necks.