Chapter Nine: Drama, Suitors, and a New Queen Bee

I woke up the next morning with a throbbing headache. I could hear mum cooking in the kitchen so I went downstairs to get breakfast. As soon as I caught a whiff of the greasy bacon and eggs my heart started racing and I ran to the sink and threw up. Mum ran over to me and grabbed my hair as I continued to vomit another three times.

“Are you okay, darling? What did you eat last night?” Mum said, concerned

. “It must have been the fast food I had.” I answered meekly. Thankfully, the thought that I could have been drunk wouldn’t have even passed mum’s mind as she thought I would never drink. I excused myself and went upstairs and lay back in bed after taking panadol for my headache.

I heard my phone buzz and was shocked to see that I had nine texts from different numbers. Some of them were texts saying I was a whore and a skank and others were texts asking me out or asking for “head”. Memories from the night before came flooding back to me and I groaned as I remember how slutty I was.

I woke up to the sound of my alarm. When I checked the time I realized it was Tuesday, 6am. Had I really slept through my entire pupil free day yesterday? I sat up feeling groggy and super hungry. I ran downstairs, ate some cereal and came back upstairs.

I still couldn't get over how Sam kicked me out of his house and then ignored me at his party. Why was he ashamed of me? Even though I felt heartbroken and angry I still missed him and I wanted to sort things out and get to the bottom.

 After styling my hair and applying makeup I put on my school uniform. Over the weekend Victoria had dramatically shortened my school skirt and gave me a shirt that was two sizes two small, so it made it super tight.  When I reached the front door I saw a car waiting outside for me. 

The car’s window went down and it took me a moment to recognise who it was. It was Sam’s older brother, Miles. Unsure of what to do, I just looked at him with a questioning expression. Miles waved me over to his car as he leant out the window.

“Want a lift?” Miles said, grinning at me. I was about to politely reject his offer when I remembered that I am a different person. And this person will accept rides from people she hardly knows. I opened the car door and sat inside and felt extremely awkward as he was just watching me. “

What are you doing here?” I asked, trying to come off confident.

“Well I thought I would just pop by and apologise for the other night. I didn’t give you a proper introduction and I felt as though I was a bit rude.” He said, chuckling. “You know, I hardly recognised you when you came out that door… I like your new look, it’s very… sexy.” He said, putting a strand of hair behind my ears.

“Thanks, I guess.” I said back, unsure of what else to say.  Miles began to drive.

“You don’t talk much. You’re very mysterious… I love mysterious girls.” He said, smirking, keeping his eyes on the road. Finally, we gradually pulled up at the front gate of the school. This was perhaps one of the most random car rides I had ever been in.

“Thanks for the ride.” I said, opening the door.

“I’ll see you very soon, Lola. Was great to see you.” Miles responded, staring and smiling at me. “Oh, and by the way,” Miles called out, “I don’t know what Sam was talking about when he said you’re just some loser he was forced to hang out with.”