•14~John Laurens•

Prompt: "I love you but I can't be with you. I'll let you down. I will always let you down. I'm not enough for you to be satisfied."

A/n: Before the winters ball, you dated Alexander but you knew he would never be satisfied. You then see him with Eliza at the winters ball and get upset. John comforts you.

Au: Hamiltime

~~~

You walked home with Alexander. You decided to tell him tonight, but it had been harder than you thought. You had had enough.

"We need to end this." You said to him as you walked to your door.
"What? Why?" He turned to you frowning.
"I love you but I can't be with you. I'll let you down. I will always let you down. I'm not enough for you to be satisfied."
He looked at the ground, seeming to agree with you. You thought he would have put up more of a fight. You kissed his cheek gently and smiled sadly at him.
"Goodbye, Alexander."
You walked home slowly, tears falling down your face.

•••

You were from an upper class family, so when you were invited to the winters ball, your father made you go. You needed to be married of since you were nearly past the age that it was acceptable to not be married at.

Your hair was braided into a crown and you wore a blood red dress that stood out from the others. You usually tried not to stand out at parties, but your father insisted for this one.

You walked into the ballroom and almost immediately you were swarmed by soldiers asking you to dance. Of course, you had to because your father would kill you if you had not even been giving people a chance.

Everything was going fine until you noticed Alexander. It had been a few months since your breakup and you thought you had gotten over it. Seeing him with another woman seemed to set you off again.

As soon as you finished dancing, you went outside to get some air. You sat on the balcony and tears streamed down your face.

You knew it was stupid because the break up was for the worst but that didn't mean you weren't in love with him before.

You heard the door open behind you and you turned, wiping away your tears. You saw John Laurens standing there before he walked over and sat on the bench next to you.

After a minute of silence, he said
"Are you ok?"
"Yes, I think this is just part of getting over him."
John nodded. He knew exactly who you meant.
"It just takes time. Now that you've seen him with someone else, you'll get over him."

You then turned to John and hugged him. He sat there, awkward for a few seconds before hugging you back. You then sat and talked about anything and everything before you had to leave.

"Will you write to me?" You turned to him before leaving.
"Of course." He replied.
You waved to him before you left, smiling to yourself.