Twenty Five

"You're coming to my graduation tomorrow, right?" Justin asked me for the hundredth time this week.

"Yes."

"Good. I can't believe I'm graduating tomorrow and all that."

School was over, finals were passed and everyone was leaving. I was staying here in Westbrook. There was no way that I was going home just because my mom was now calling me.

"So are you staying here after or going back to North Carolina?" I asked reaching over to steal one of his chicken fingers.

He glared at me before answering. "I'm going back home the day after tomorrow."

"But I'll miss you." I pouted.

"Lies."

I rolled my eyes and smacked my lips. "Whatever. I'm trying to tell you I'll miss you and you don't believe me."

"I was joking, calm down."

"I'm calm. Let's get out of this dirty cafeteria so I can go get my last check of the semester. My bank account is dry." I said standing up from the table.

Justin and I went our separate ways. He went to graduation practice while I walked over to the registration building.

"Siani! Just the person I wanted to see." Miss Marshall, one of the admitting officers said when I walked through the door.

"About what?" I asked as I took my check from her outstretched hand and placed it into my cross body bag.

"What are your plans for the summer?"

"Well really nothing. I'm not going back to Philly, I'll be here. What's up?"

"Two semesters in a row and you were the only student who didn't have to take finals. That's extremely rare and already you have the credits to be considered a second semester sophomore in the fall. Two and a half more years and you can graduate, if you keep this up then maybe less than that. Have you thought about summer classes?" She said.

"No. I'll be honest Miss Marshall, I hate school. I haven't thought about summer classes because the summer is my time. Not school time."

"I understand. So since you will be here for the summer, I need you."

I could have sworn I just told this lady that the summer was for me.

"For?" I asked dragging out the word slowly.

"Student ambassador. The school's president would like for you to be one." She smiled warmly at me. "Now before you shut me down I'm going to tell you what goes on with that title."

"I'm listening." I took a seat in the chair in front of her desk.

"You get to travel all over the United States and interest people into coming to the Westbrook Colleges. Mostly college aged students, you'll be hosting college fairs and seminars about your college experience. When you aren't traveling you are back here giving campus tours. If you aren't familiar with both the male and female campuses then you must make yourself familiar since they will become combined come the fall term. Also if you do a great job you stay an ambassador during the school year and until graduation."

This sounds so lame.

"Ehh I don't know Miss Marshall. It seems as though it will take up too much of my summer, I told you that summer is for me and not Westbrook College."

"It's paid."

"How much?" I said all too quickly.

"One thousand and we pay for your traveling and hotel expenses. You just pay for your meals."