Chapter 18: The All Too Familiar Road

The summer came and went like the wind, Eleven and Mike tried their best to cherish every memory. Spending as many days possible with the rest of the group, either huddled up watching movies in Mike's basement, or down at the quarry acting like innocent kids. When the day would turn over to night they'd light campfires and stare up at the stars as if they were in some sort of cliche movie about teens. But Eleven and Mike always ended the night the same, wrapped in each others arms whispering words of love and affection as they'd drift of into a peaceful sleep. 

It was like a routine, and they loved it. They loved to pretend like everything wasn't about to change. Because the thought scared them to death. They didn't want to grow up, they wanted to continue spending an unreasonable amount of time huddled around the small square table in Mike's basement playing D&D. 

So when the last finale week of the summer rolled around and the 6 teens had to start packing for their future, they tried their best to push it all away. They didn't even bring the topic up in conversations unless they had too.

"I love you, call me when you two get there," Eleven whispered into Max's ear as they tightly hung onto each other. Max and Lucas were the firsts to leave. All of the kids took turns hugging them both goodbye.

"I will," Max promised before giving Eleven one more tight squeeze, then got into the passenger seat of Lucas's car he had finally got.

The two waved their finale goodbye out the window as they drove down the all too familiar road of Hawkins, leaving behind their childhood forever.

                                                                                             **

"Why is all of this so difficult," El asked Mike later that night as they lounged around on the downstairs sofa. His attention snapped away from the film they were watching to meet her eyes. His filled with warmth and tiredness as his hands came up to rub circles into her shoulder. 

"Because that's the part of growing up, everything's difficult," He whispered into her ear with a smile, causing her own to appear on her face at his warm breath fanned down on her exposed skin. 

"I'm serious," she laughed lightly, swatting his hand away as she sat patiently for an answer.

"I'm serious about my answer to, life sucks sometimes and it just so happens that leaving behind your friends and family for college is one of those many times," he leaned forward to press a tender kiss against her forehead, once again causing her to smile brightly up at him. Her cheeks tinting a shade darker as he continued to press kisses all over her face.

                                                                                           **

They left that friday, Eleven squeezing Hopper and Joyce tight hugs goodbye promising to call them when she settled into her dorm room. Mike and El pulled Dustin and Will into a group hug telling them that they'd be back for thanksgiving break, and possibly on some weekends. 

When Mike and Eleven drove down the same road as Lucas and Max is when it all really settled in. They were leaving, leaving behind their comfortable routine and going towards a new direction of change and nervousness. 

Mike's hand grasping ahold of Eleven calmed her down almost instantly, as she smiled a sly smile his way and pulled their hands up to press a sweet kiss to the back of his palm. And for some reason they knew that everything was going to be okay, because even if they didn't have the all too familiar town with it's all too familiar roads and places, they at least had each other. And that's all Eleven and Mike ever wanted. 

                                                                                         **

SO SORRY FOR HOW LONG IT'S BEEN SINCE I'VE LAST UPDATED. MY LAPTOP HAD BEEN MESSED UP AND IT'S HARD TO TRY AND WRITE ON A PHONE. 

I'M SORRY THIS CHAPTER WAS SO SMALL, BUT I NEED TO GET CAUGHT UP ON SOME ESSAYS FOR SCHOOL. THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE SUPPORT. 

THERE ARE STILL A COUPLE OF CHAPTERS LEFT, SO TELL ME WHAT YOU WANT TO SEE NEXT. 

<3<3<3