Chapter 5: Chaos and Webs

--------------

"I don't know Lars..I've told you countless times.."

"Then if the pack falls, it's you who they're going to blame! You know it Zayn!"

I just glared at him, his eyes burning bright red and glaring right back at me. "He's not the only Alpha in the fucking world..there's others you know.."

Lars scoffed at me, running a hand through his dirty blonde-brown hair. "If you're insinuating that you of all people can save the pack then you're dead wrong Malik.."

I let out a low growl, bearing my fangs at him. The room was only lit by a simple hanging lamp above the wooden table. To be honest it looked like an interrogation room, which was technically what Lars was doing to me. I had no idea why either, he was in the same position as I was. He was in no way of higher authority than me. That's what angered me more, Lars thought he was better than everyone else and deserved more than what he got. Which was a load of bullshit.

Lars sent me a fang filled smirk,"You know the whole pack wants him to be an Alpha.."

"And you know my father can't allow it.." I sneered right back at him.

My eyes stayed glued to him as he paced around the table,"Your father may be the pack leader for now Zayn..but for how long?"

I flinched, utterly in awe of what he said. I wasn't sure if he was talking about the neighboring pack taking over us, or overthrowing my father himself, which would be highly difficult to do in his position.

And not to mention stupid.

I clenched my fists in anger,"My father is and always will be the pack leader...and you know just speaking of mutiny can get you outcasted Lars..."

I had to force myself not to smile. The idea of Lars being a literal lone wolf out on his own in the wild was cruel, but eerily humorous. He deserved every last bit of it. He was strong I'll give him that, but there was no doubt he would survive.

"Now who said anything about mutiny? That's a death wish going up against your father..."

Obviously.

Lars continued, tucking his hands in his dirty jeans,"Once word gets out that Harry's run off and abandoned the pack, it'll be utter chaos..and you know that."

I did know that. Harry was one of the most powerful members of the pack. Without him, it'd just be me, Lars, Kaidan and Louis leading the hunting groups, not to mention leading attacks on the neighboring and excruciatingly annoying South pack. It would be very hard without him.

I nodded, feeling myself calm a bit, flattening out my jacket,"We'll find him Lars..I know it.."

Lars nodded and looked down at the dimly lighted table, tracing small patterns and circles on the wood. "His scent vanishes after the river..we lose all trace of him. His prints, scent, all gone. There's nowhere he could possibly go!"

There was silence, and I sensed the wheels in both of our heads turning.

"The town..." I breathed.

"That's ridiculous.." Lars shook his head.

I leaned forward and pressed my hands against the table, leering at Lars and his bright brown eyes, no longer red,"I would know Lars, I'm his friend, we grew up as pups together...adolescents travel to the town all of the time.."

Lars opened his mouth and laugh,"Do the Alphas have any idea of this?"

I smirked,"Some of the Alphas join in actually..."

"What's so interesting in town anyway? Humans are scum.."

"Though very fun and entertaining to be around.." I pointed out, jerking my chin at him.

That's when Lars sighed,"We'll search for him tomorrow..for now, keep any rumors low, and make up excuses...we don't want the whole pack going nuts..."

I groaned and pushed my hands off of the table, backing off towards the door,"I don't have to listen to you Lars.."

He smirked at me again,"But you're going to anyway...for the sake of the pack." I just rolled my eyes, sending him a glare as I walked out the door.

------

Lars took a seat in his chair, kicking up his feet onto the table. He found himself looking up at the cobwebbed filled corners and crooks of the shack.

A spider had laid eggs on the far left corner of it. The mother was standing by silently, watching over her offspring. Lars just stood idly by as a much larger spider attacked her, and her eggs with her.

He licked his lips, running his tongue over his fangs. "Where are you little pup..?"