Chapter 1: The Storm

~~~~~~~~

Thunder boomed in the pitch dark sky. The diner almost shook with its force. I was really hoping that my boss would've let me go before the storm had hit. Not that I was excited to go home, I just didn't want to commute to it in this storm. I had no car, or any mode of transportation, I was lucky enough to have my house!

If you ever think of leaving your nice, secure home with your parents and siblings for a new life as an actress, rethink it.

I regretted it all. I moved out too fast, my friends and my family told me,"Benny..you're too young! you can't live out there by yourself!" Me being my rebellious 17 year old self I yearned to prove everyone wrong. Yet, here I was, earning minimum wage, without an agent to speak of, and lucky to have a roof over my head.

I groaned as soon as I stepped out of the doors of the diner it seemed to rain harder. I pulled the hood of my black Monster hoodie up, hoping my straightened hair wouldn't frizz up into curls. The storm did get worse, but it oddly calmed me. Rain always did that. It was the cold and uncomfortable wetness and humidity that bothered me. I especially loved it when a silent streak of purple heated lightning lit up the sky. Then the loud thunder following after. You get it I love rain, but at this moment I had no love for it. I was walking on the sidewalk where cars could drive my and splash me like a dick would at any moment.

I couldn't wait until I could change out of this wet waitress uniform and into a comfy sweater and my fluffy plaid PJ bottoms and curl up with my stuffed dog Patches, eating caramel corn as I watched some anime on Netflix, thanks to my neighbors internet. Ahh thats the life..a blanket around me and Patches, pillows surrounding us as we watch Ciel order Sebastian around like the cute couple they are..I couldn't wait to get home..

Splash!

A burst of dirt and cold hit me, and I knew it, a dickhead had splashed me. I glared at the car and flipped it off. it was one of those amped up street racing cars of course. With the colored taillights and hydrolics, and the insanely loud rap music blaring through the way too many subwoofers.

I scoffed,"Prick.."

I tried my best to dry myself off, my skirt totally drenched and my dense sweatshirt stuck to my skin, feeling even more uncomfortable.

To make it all worse a dog from the persons yard I was standing by went totally nuts and started barking at me. I sighed and wave it off, like I thought that would make it go away. I shushed it, then gave up and walked on.

It was after the dog barked louder that I felt my body tremble. It was like a dark shroud was looming over me, or that clenching feeling you get when you know a pair of unwanted eyes are on you. I was always worried there'd be stalkers on these streets at night.

I turned around to see a strange, glowing pair of orbs poking through the shrubs on the other side of the street. My jaw fell open and I started backing the other way. The dark pupils had me glued to the concrete, it was almost ethereal. Be it a stalker or a feral dog with rabies I wasn't gonna stay to find out.

I gasped and ran quickly down the sidewalk, away from the yellow eyes and the dog howling. The feeling ceased when thunder boomed loudly again, it made me feel safer somehow.

Finally, I made it safely home. With a huge sigh I ran into my small, brown, two story house and shut the door, almost missing the repetitive tap of raindrops on my skin. I locked the door and tugged on my wet sweatshirt until it came off.

Eager to get changed, I ran upstairs and went into my tiny bedroom to grab a t shirt and plaid bottoms just like I had wanted.

When I was fully changed I picked up Patches and looked into the mirror, smiling at the little stitches that held the little ball of fabric together.

"Owwoooooooooo....."

A low and long howl came fron outside. Shivers ran through me like an electric shock as it prolonged. My eyes widened.

I looked at Patches and held him up,"Was that you?' I said with a soft smile, hiding my aching fear.

"Owwooo..."

I heard the soft howling again. It had to have been that dog that barked at me before and he got out. I mean what else could it be? I groaned and cursed that dog for scaring the shit out of me.

I put my damp hair up in a bun and carried Patches as I ventured downstairs. I turned the corner and headed for the glass door that led to the porch. What I saw sitting there in the pouring rain made me cling to Patches like a lifeline and my jaw drop to the floor before I even made it there.