Chapter 25 -- Ecarté

ecarté (ay'-kar-tay') This means to step aside/to deviate. A position where the leg is extended to the side.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
.
.
.

"Are you there?" Darren made a murmuring sound and I heard the faint squeak of leather as if he were adjusting himself on a chair. I was drifted back to the present time. With me, sitting on the couch of our old house in QC, I wondered if Darren, who was at the other side of the line, was at home and there the curiosity of what his home looked like, crawled on to my mind. Giving myself a shake, I tried to focus on the conversation.

As I sat in the couch with a People's magazine on my lap, calling Darren over the phone, I looked up and found Travis approaching and coming to my side. He was dressed for some morning jog and looked well put-together, as usual.

"Hi," His voice was husky enough to bring me out of my thoughts. He kissed my temple and as he stroked my hair, He glanced at my long-forgotten magazine on my lap. I blinked. I know for a certain fact of Travis not-so-subtle dislike on Darren and if my memory served me right, He doesn't even want me to associate myself near the proximity of his so-called rival.

I wouldn't say I didn't like it. On a contrary, it made me feel important that Travis' is afraid to lose me on some way. That, or I'm narcissistic much to consider it flattering.

"Sorry - yes." I said, trying to come up something at the back of my head—anything for that matter. "Uh, the basics yeah, your daughter's doing well in ballet," As lame as that sound, I really don't know what else to say. I glanced at Travis who was now beside me

"What?!" Darren exclaimed from the other side of the line. "He's there isn't he?" When I didn't answer back, I heard how Darren sighed and by the looks of it, I can't even help myself but imagine he was rolling his eyes "Seriously?"

"Yes," I said as I continued with the charade or at least, I tried to "I'll call you later if there's anything more. Bye"

Setting the magazine aside, I leaned toward Travis, wrapping an arm around his waist and he pressed his ear to my chest. I cradled his head, looking fondly upon him.

Of course the faded blue t-shirt pulling tight across his chest or the way he smelled like aftershave and fabric softener was at least partly responsible for my reaction.

"I suppose it's good to know I have some effect," he said with a smirk as he caught me just like a deer on a headlight. "Even if it is potentially life threatening. It makes me feel a little better about this whole stalker thing I'm trying to pull off."

I cleared my throat, trying to shake off thoughts of licking him and pay attention to what he was saying. "How'd you find me? Galing kang gym di'ba?"

"I was tempted to track your GPS but then again, I knew you so much that I could tell you'll end up here. In fact, Your Yaya Nena even wheeled me to the door, though I told her I could find you on my own."

"You know what I mean," I said with a wry look. "What are you doing here?"

Travis grinned at me, and my stomach did flips "Just lying here" He looked solemn, which added to my confusion., "Enjoying the peaceful rhythm of your heartbeat. Aren't you glad to see me?"

I flashed him an apologetic look before looking down at my feet. I fell onto my back on the couch and pressed my fingers against my eyelids. I felt a little guilty about killing the mood "Of course I am glad to see you."

"Thank God," he said, his voice sounding sincerely relieved. He leaned over me, his hands still tickling my bare skin under my top. He edged the shirt up and kissed my stomach, running his tongue around my belly button."I figured I had a fifty fifty shot at not getting beat up or arrested."