Chapter 10 -- Adagio

Adagio

a ballet duet by a man and woman or a mixed trio displaying difficult feats of balance, lifting, or spinning in a slow tempo

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I considered myself fortunate to have experienced many things in all aspects of my life. From the rich—to the not so rich, from the famous—to the infamous, from the powerful—to the powerless, I have lived in many places, worked for prestigious ballet company, have visited the globe and can finally acknowledge that life is good.. somehow.

"Today we're going to do some new exercise"

As I moved round my ballet class, I noticed that Everyone line up on their respective barre.
Today is just my third day in teaching at Ballet Manila which classical ballet institution and dance company in the Philippines that Locally performed in 47 cities holding more than 4,100 performances over all.

Here, the students are trained in the french ballet methodology. I was going to do two classes today first a beginner's class and then a basic level class.

"Present yourself!" I said and perhaps the most frequent guidelines I get to say every time - and personally speaking, one of the hardest to teach.

"This is "possible", since you can always lower your leg and hold the stretch at your own height. It goes like this.. stand facing the barre, lift right leg into passé retiré, then into a small attitude devant, enough that you take hold of your right heel with your left hand."

"Yes like that" I quickly pointed out to the student on my far right as she attempted to execute the step "and now straighten leg to the front and pull as close to your body as possible." After I demonstrated it, I roam around and assisted the other girls who were having hard time executing the ballet movement

"It's really nothing more than a standing split" I said

"Madam" Another student said. She was a bit of Hispanic with really deep set of grayish blue eyes "I could manage it with my more flexible left leg in front. Right leg - not a chance in hell."

This pretty girl who joined a few years before I decided to teach here in Ballet Manila, was very classy, the kind of little girl who would be pick up in a late registration Mercedes sports car, whose mother probably wore designer label sports kit and paid for tennis coaching

"Ohh. Go ahead. I'm pleased you could get the limb over the higher barre and then stretch which is still the easy part. "

She was naturally quite flexible, her extensions have the potential to be a lot higher - if she was stronger. Her face and eyes tend to stay too much straight ahead. It makes her dancing look static, like I'm just going through the motions.

We then repeated the first part, passé and attitude, grab right heel with left hand and extend - but to a la seconde! Again, with my right leg up not even remotely possible for the student awhile ago on my right. I watched as she switched hands and did my stretch the regular way.

I smiled at her through the mirror "You could of course have lifted the leg onto the barre, or held the leg lower." As I shifted my gaze I noticed that pretty Hispanic little girl was watching me in the mirror and I could see her smiling at me

I never asked anyone to push beyond their own maximum stretching ability, and I made sure we are being careful. It's no shame to have lower extension or less in the way of rubber ligaments. Still, it would be so nice..