Chapter 21: Selfishness

They traveled day and night without much stopping just to reach the capital in a shorter period of time. Mikhaila didn’t thought of being tires and sleepy. She only had her goal in mind and that is to talk to Anaclisse Colabrè.

       The three of them now arrived at a low hill overlooking Limbistein. It was dawn and the thick fog was slowly evaporating from the ground. Mikhaila felt like it was only yesterday when she first saw the vast capital. She met the Milestones then experience the festival and there was also the first time she made a friend. She wished to see Irene again. But can we be friends? I am a Brethanian after all and she’s a Tearan… she thought. Will Irene be willing to see me again when she learns the truth about me? That I am from the enemy of her country?

       “I can’t believe that we are here.” Jackson Milestone said.

       “Yes.” Ron agreed. “What should we do, Your Highness? The knights are probably be on their guard more than ever now that they know you have returned.”

       Mikhaila nodded. “Mr. Milestone, where does she live?”

       “The Colabrè lands lie a few miles away from the capital. We will be able to get there before noon if we go now.” He answered.

       “I do not agree on going now, Your Highness.” Ron said. “You must rest first. You haven’t slept in days…”

       “I can still continue. I shall rest after I talk to her.” She said.

       “Princess, please listen to me. What will we do if your body suddenly breaks down?” if your mind can still take the pressure…your health might not anymore.” Ron said.

       “I know my own body better than you do.” Mikhaila replied.

       Ron sighed. He didn’t expect the princess to be so headstrong and at the same time stubborn. He couldn’t help remembering someone as stubborn as her. He tried not to smile but she still noticed it.

       “What are you thinking?”

       “It is nothing, Your Highness.”

       “Tell me, Ron.” She insisted and then he gave up because she didn’t look like someone who’ll take no for an answer.

       “It’s really nothing, Princess, you just remind me of His Highness.” He said and he saw her expression soften and he thought she was going to cry.

       “How?” she asked curiously. He could tell that she was keeping her composure. This was the first time he noticed that any mention of her brother in any way can bring her to tears. He admired the courage and strength that she is showing.

       “Well…the level of your determination and stubbornness is the same.” Ron said. Mikhaila couldn’t help smiling then Ron continued, “When he helped us escape, he didn’t falter when he saw that we are outnumbered. His choices were limited because he couldn’t risk being discovered but in the end, he still used his Proof to protect us. That choice was risky…”

       “Our father once said that making risks is worth it if it is for a good cause and can save lives.” She said.

       “I agree…” Ron said.

       They became silent for a while, watching the sun slowly touch the town with its rays. Mikhaila became lost in thought as she stared at Limbistein in the horizon.

       “Let’s go and rest for now.” She said.

       “Your Highness?”

       “Let’s go into the capital and stay at an inn.” She said.