Chapter 24: Mikhail

Rendell was imprisoned in the dungeons in one of the underground chambers of Limbistein castle. It was Lord Beneufort himself who put the lock on his cell door.

       He did not show any resistance. His mind was just blank and he was feeling resigned. He didn’t know which identity he should assume now. A thought came to him about the probability that the king had already known of his true identity for some time now.

       He already knew full well that he was being a coward right now. He broke all the promises he made seventeen years ago to his father and Mikhaila and to his people. He feels ashamed of himself. He hates himself for turning a blind eye to the obvious truth that was in front of him all along. I deserve to be here in this cell, he thought.

       Rendell wondered whether the other knights know about him. It had already been an hour or so since he was imprisoned.

       “My head is still pounding in pain.” He muttered as he clutched his head. He knew very well that it was the aftereffect of Lord Somier’s potion. It came as a surprise to him that he was able to disobey the force put into his mind by the potion to answer questions truthfully.

       When he learned that they were going to interrogate him, he realized that there will be no choice for him but to spill all the secrets he had, but it didn’t happen. He was able to fight it. Rendell recalled what happened:

       He met King Gelatte and saw that his eyes glowed red with anger. The king hit him in the face and he felt his lower lip bleed.

       “All this time…” the king said. He was still controlling his voice and he looked like he was about to explode in anger. “All this time I did not know that the person I always sought is right in front of my eyes!” he hit him again then he fell to the floor. The king kicked him in the stomach hard and he coughed up blood. “You dare deceive me after…after everything!! And I bet you were also the one who let those spies escape, didn’t you?”

       The king felt disgusted of himself. He spat on the floor. He grasped Rendell’s collar and shook him with force while saying, “I have always hated you. But I hate myself even more because I let myself be deceived!”

       He kicked Rendell again.

       “I-I d-d—cough—d-did n-not—cough—know t-the truth myself—cough, cough—” Rendell said.

       “What do you mean?” Lord Beneufort asked.

       “I j-just realized the t-truth by m-myself recently…” Rendell said his mouth full of blood.

       “Is it because of this?” the king held out Zeron. Rendell simply stared. “Huh, I knew this sword was familiar but I just didn’t dare believe what I was seeing. I was a fool…so Elmar’s sword survived the Black War, but its master didn’t. Your fate will also be like your father’s. You will also die by my hands…but before that…I decided to use you.”

       “W-what d-do you m-mean?” Rendell asked.

       “Somier!” the king called.

       They heard footsteps walking towards them Lord Somier entered, carrying a small flask. Rendell immediately realized what it was.

       “I have a lot of questions for you.” The king said. “I want you to answer them very well…”

       This is the end, Rendell thought. Is this everything that I can do?

       Rendell didn’t even resist. Lord Beneufort didn’t need to hold him. Lord Somier poured the contents of the flask in his mouth then stepped away.