Chapter 17: A New Beginning

“Lady Lenyl, do you know what is happening to my brother?” Mikhaila asked. They were still in the ruins of Domlora castle.

       “I’m sorry, but I do not.” She answered. “You know him much better than me, your highness.”

       “That’s true.” Talking about him made her smile. “I could feel that he is still in a state of confusion. He is also in denial even the truth is already before him.”

       “Can you tell when he will return to us?”

       “It will take a long time before he comes back.” Mikhaila said. “He is actually more stubborn than me.”

       “Your connection with him is much stronger because you have already acknowledged your true self.” Lady Lenyl commented.

       “I’m worried about him.” Mikhaila said. “I wish to speak to him even for a few minutes.”

       They were silent for a while then Lady Lenyl said, “It’s time for us to return, princess. They must be very worried about you.”

       Mikhaila nodded and placed her hand on Lady Lenyl’s. Upon their immediate contact, their surroundings suddenly vanished into a blur of colors.

       Mikhaila’s feet touched the ground. She could hear gasps of surprise and shock around her. When she opened her eyes, she saw that she was in the town square. Lady Lenyl was beside her.

       “Of all places why should it be here?” she muttered to her little companion.

       “Is that Lady Lenyl?” Mikhaila heard someone say.

       “Look at that beautiful lady with the golden hair!”

       “She’s so lovely!”

       “Why does she look like the princess?”

       Mikhaila listened to the different chatter around her and was wondering what she should do.

       “Everyone, don’t you recognize this young lady?” Lady Lenyl told the crowd.

       Mikhaila steadied her face with a serious look while they looked at her. She was praying that someone will recognize her.

       “My lady,” an old woman addressed Lady Lenyl. “If I am not mistaken, the lady beside you is Princess Mikhaila…”

       “But isn’t she too young to be the princess? Seventeen years had already passed you know.” Someone said.

       “I know that but….” The old woman replied. “The more I look at her, I feel convinced that she is indeed our princess.”

       Mikhaila tried not to smile and keep her composure.

       “Hey, you’re right!” someone said. “I think that she really is our princess!”

       Mikhaila looked at each one of them. Some were convinced and some were in doubt. She was glad that at least some of them have recognized her.

       “I don’t know what happened but I’m sure that she is the princess.”

       “Welcome back, your highness!” they all shouted.

       Mikhaila’s lips broke into a big smile. She stepped forward and gave them a curtsy.

       “Thank you everyone for recognizing me even after all these years!” she said. “I’m happy to have returned.”