Chapter 8: Escape

Rendell knew that he was lying on the cold stone floor of some place he doesn’t know. He also knows that his whole body hurts and the pain is almost unbearable. He wanted to make sure that his sword is still with him but he could not even lift his finger.

       When he became conscious, he slowly remembered what happened to him: after he received his Proof and Lady Lenyl disappeared, he was shot from behind by an arrow that was dipped in poison. He wasn’t able to escape after that because the poison immediately took effect and he lost consciousness.

       He now realized that he was in a cell lying now on the cold stone floor facing up. One thought quickly crossed his mind: he was captured by the Brethanians. He knew it was a serious matter because they would kill him for sure but later he remembered that they already shot him with poison.

       “Slow death, huh…” he muttered.

       He struggled to get up but the pain in his body made it difficult. After many tries, he successfully made it to sit up. First thing he noticed is the absence of his sword at his side.

       “Oh, no…” he muttered. “I must take it back no matter what.”

       He suddenly heard footsteps approaching his cell and opened it. It was a man accompanied by a soldier.

       “So you are already awake.” The man said. “Don’t worry I am a doctor.”

       “You are a doctor?” Rendell asked, suspicious.

       “Do not worry, young lad.” He repeated. “I’m here just to check on you. I already have given you the antidote when they brought you here. It seems you still feel the effects of the poison. It will take a while for it to completely disappear from your system.”

       “Why did you save me?”

       “It is our Lord’s orders to save you from death, Tearan.” The doctor answered.

       “So I’m still a prisoner. What does he want with me? Why did he make you save me?”

       “I also do not know the reason why but I’m a doctor and even if the person in front of me is a Brethanian or a Tearan that is wounded or is in the brink of death…I will save that person. I became a doctor to save lives and not turn a blind eye to them.”

       “…thank you very much then, doctor.”

       The doctor insisted that he lie down and get some more sleep and before going out of the cell, he asked the doctor, “Doctor, may I know the name of the lord you are serving?”

       “He is called Lord Wilston, he was the captain of the Brethan Knights a long time ago…”

       “Lord Wilston…”

       The cell door closed and Rendell was left alone again in the cold cell.

       After a few hours, he slowly felt the effect of the poison disappearing. The pain was now subsiding. He can now move more freely. He sat up again and stared around his cell.

       He wanted much to escape and retrieve his sword. He went to the cell door and peered through the bars.

       Rendell saw that there were no guards outside his cell. He was puzzled by the lax of security but he knew better not to underestimate the situation.

       After another hour, his cell door opened again and this time, the man who came in was someone he met before.

       The man stared at him with full hatred. He was the same man who shot the poisoned arrow at Rendell.