Chapter 16: Interrogation

The Milestone family and Ron were currently being taken to Lord Beneufort’s residence for questioning. Rendell learned that that was the place where Brethanian spies were taken for interrogation and then taken to Mt. Abracar later.

       Rendell was actually uneasy about Ron but he hid it well behind his expression and under his hood.

       They were riding in front of the prisoners and he could feel Ron’s eyes on his back the entire time. He still hadn’t forgotten what he owes Ron and was battling about it inside his mind.

       He could hear the three children crying while their mother was comforting them. Rendell knew that Chris wouldn’t think of torturing them. Knights do not hurt women and children.

       “Izani, have you informed Lord Somier?” Chris muttered.

       “Yes, he said that we can take as much as we like because he has a lot of them in his own storage room.” Izani answered back.

       Rendell couldn’t understand what they were talking about. His confused and questioning expression caught the eyes of Chris.

       “You’ll soon find out. This is about Lord Somier’s latest invention and has been proven to be very efficient.”

       “Lord Somier is not only a master of magic but also of potions.” Izani explained.

       “Oh…so that’s why.” Rendell said. “So we are going to use his latest invention to interrogate them?”

       “Yes,” Chris said. “I’m sure that we will get a lot of information from them.”

       “And the other identities of the spies…” Rendell added.

       “Correct. We will be able to catch every single one of them this time.” Izani said.

       They finally reached the end of the street and arrived at Lord Beneufort’s residence. It was Rendell’s first time coming there. All he knows was that there are underground jail rooms in there.

       Lord Beneufort was currently not there but the servants were told to follow orders from any of the knights.

       “Take them all downstairs and in different cells. Separate the mother from the children.” Chris said. He lowered his voice and told the servant to not treat them too harshly.

       Rendell watched as the Brethanians were taken downstairs. He now relaxed and lowered his hood.

       The grandfather’s clock chimed. It was already 5 o’ clock in the morning. Rendell wondered if they will do the interrogation now. Izani asked the question aloud to Chris.

       “It has been a long night. Let us rest first before we question them.” He answered.

       A servant later came and led them to their rooms to rest. When Rendell was inside his room, he laid down on the bed and gave out a deep long sigh. He was troubled on what he should do next.

       Because of Ron, he managed to escape and this time it was Ron that needs his help. But he was already a knight to the king and he cannot disobey his orders. But, a voice inside his head said, you are also a Brethanian.

       He sat up. “What should I do?” he muttered to himself.

       After a while, he stood and approached the door, his hand already on the door knob. He hesitated and walked back to the bed and slumped face first on the pillows and tried not to think of anything else.