Chapter 1: Life and Death

They were riding in their wagon full of vegetables on the road going to the town. It was a sunny day and the sun was high up in the sky. It was noon already. Patricia, together with her youngest sister, Marianne was sitting beside their father.

       “Father, I think that we’ll be able to bring home a lot of money.” Patricia said, pertaining to their large harvest of vegetables.

       “I agree…” the girl sitting beside Patricia said. “Father, can you buy me a nice doll later?”

       “Of course, I’ll buy a nice one later, okay?”

       “Yay!” Marianne exclaimed.

       “Marianne, you are already ten years old and you still like to play with dolls…” her older sister said.

       “Why not?  I’m still a kid so I can still play with them…”

       Patricia sighed. She didn’t answer anymore because she wanted to avoid an argument between her and her youngest sister. Between her other sister and their elder brother, Marianne was her favorite sibling. They were already close since they were little. Patricia would always take care of her while their parents were working. Her older sister, Sarah was always the one who takes care of the house when their mother wasn’t around and she’s only a year old than Patricia. Francis, their oldest sibling meanwhile always helps their parents with their work in the field and sometimes works part-time in town.

       “Patricia…”

       The sound of her name suddenly snapped her out of her wandering thoughts. “Yes, father?”

       “How about you? What do you like me to buy for you?”

       “Oh.” Patricia smiled. “Nothing, father.”

       “Are you sure?” her father asked. “I don’t know when we will have a bountiful harvest again. You should use this opportunity to tell me what you like to have…”

       “Alright then, father.” Patricia said. “But I’ll think about it when we arrive in town.”

       Her father nodded.

       Patricia sighed again. Her father was always so kind and generous to them. Even though they completely understand that they really need money, their father always made sure that they were not deprived of anything they wanted.

       They reached Floyié Town after two to three hours. Patricia and her family live a few kilometers outside town because their parents preferred the wide landscape outside town.

       While their father was busy selling their vegetables, Patricia and Marianne went to the town square to go sightseeing. They passed a dress shop and admired the beautiful dress on display.

       “Patricia, do you know what I’m thinking?” Marianne asked.

       “No. What is it?”

       “I think that if you wore that dress and let your long hair down…you’ll look like a princess.”

       “What?” Patricia said, blushing. “Oh, please. Stop kidding me.”

       “I’m not joking. It will really look nice on you. You’ll just have to let your hair down…” Marianne said.

       “Let my hair down? But…”

       “Yes. In my opinion you should always wear your hair down instead of tying it into a ponytail; you will look prettier…”

       Patricia laughed again then glanced at her reflection on the shop window. She always did have her long black hair in a ponytail and it was for only rare occasions that she let it down.