Chapter 18: Choice

It was Rendell who wrote the report to Sir Beneufort by pigeon mail and while they were waiting for his reply for their next order, they waited in the drawing room and discussed the interrogation.

       “So what about the North?” Rendell asked. “Only a Brethanian can see it according to the spy.”

       “That is a big problem. We can’t defeat them if we can’t destroy their hide-out!” Chris exclaimed.

       Izani sighed. “I don’t have any ideas about this but the fact that their prince and princess are still alive will create bigger problems.”

       “The king wouldn’t allow them to live. He would want to continue the blow that should have killed Prince Mikhail in the first place.” Chris said.

       “Yeah, the death of those twins will mean that the Tearan kingdom fully triumphed over them.” Izani said.

       “I have been meaning to ask this for a long time…” Rendell said carefully.

       “What is it, Rendell?”

       “What does those twins have that His Majesty was able to risk a lot of innocent lives just to kill them—just to kill their whole family…?”

       “I admit that I also have the same question as you, but actually, no one really knows the real reason except for the king himself.” Izani said.

       “The stories that you hear are just speculations people make.” Chris interjected. “Izani is right. No one knows the real reason, Rendell.”

       “I heard that whoever who was brave enough to ask the king about that were killed by His Majesty himself.” Izani said. “You should be careful, Rendell not to mention anything related to this to the king or else you wouldn’t be able to keep your head.”

       “Hey, brat stop scaring him!” Chris said.

       “How many times do I have to tell you to stop calling me ‘brat’!” Izani said, irritated. “I’m not a kid anymore!”

       Chris and Rendell both laughed.

       “Oh really? But how come you are just twelve years old? Isn’t that a kid’s age?” Chris teased.

       “Shut up, you old sleepy head!”

       “I admit that I am always asleep, but I am not old! Can’t you see how young and good-looking I am?”

       Izani laughed. “I advise you to get a pair of glasses. You now couldn’t see yourself clearly.”

       “Why you, brat! Look at the time; you have missed your afternoon nap. It will be a problem for us if you wouldn’t get any taller!”

       The two continued arguing while Rendell watched them as he stifled a laugh. They really do get along well with each other, he thought.

       He poured himself some tea and leaned back on the sofa. It had been a tiring time doing the interrogation. He wanted to check on Ron and the others but he needs to be cautious because his companions might think it to be suspicious. He better watch his step carefully. He also needs to think of a way to help Ron escape. He needs to warn the others about the newly invented potion and how efficient it is.

       He placed his tea cup on the table and closed his eyes. He could still hear Chris and Izani arguing but he let their noisy conversation pass through his ears.