Chapter 23: Consequences

“Your Highness!” Ron cried. “Your Highness!”

       “Please, Your Highness wake up!” Mr. Milestone said. “What’s happening, Ron? Why did she suddenly lose consciousness?”

       “I’m also confused as you are.” Ron told him. “I think the princess used her powers to get us out of there. It was all thanks to her that we are still alive and free.”

       Mr. Milestone looked around at the empty lot they were in. they were no longer inside the drawing room of Colabrè mansion but in somewhere surrounded by establishments and houses. The moon was already at its highest point. He could tell that it was already midnight.

       “I think we are still in Limbistein…inside the capital actually.” He said. “Where should we go from here? We need to find a place where she could rest properly.”

       “Yes. She must have exhausted her powers.” Ron said. “But I still can’t believe she was able to transport us here.” He carried Mikhaila in his arms and kept looking sideways. “We can’t afford to get caught. We can’t waste Her Highness’ efforts.”

       “But how did the knights know where we are?” Jackson said worriedly.

       “I do not know how but it will be more dangerous now. They will be hot on our trails.”

       “The prince will be with them, right? He might be able to help us like last time.” Mr. Milestone said.

       “I agree. He will help because the princess will be in danger.”

       Mr. Milestone saw something then pointed in the distance. They agreed that they can stay there in the meantime.

       It was a big storage house at the back of a big house. Fortunately for them someone was careless and left the door open.

       Ron laid Mikhaila on a heap of hay and they sat by her side.

       “We need to get out of here by morning. If someone sees us, they will surely turn us in.” Jackson said. “Do you think it’s safe to come back to our house?”

       “That’s too risky. They might be watching that place.”

       “…we have been careless and the princess was even put into danger. The knights are too powerful. We don’t stand a chance and they might already know where we are now!”

       “If there is a magic user among their ranks, they could easily find our location.” Ron said.

       “We should have let Capt. Volnacker and the others come with us.”

       “Yes, but now we have no choice but to wait for an opportunity to escape.”

       “Ron, is that possible?” Jackson said. “We are in the heart of enemy territory!”

       “I know, but we must try in any way we can to protect the princess.”

       “Then we wait.”

       Ron nodded and they waited in silence for the princess to wake up.

       They lost count on how long they waited. Thirty minutes…an hour. Mikhaila didn’t even stir in her sleep and they were getting worried. Ron meanwhile was busy thinking of their next move the whole time when suddenly a loud explosion near them occurred and a flash of light brightened their hiding place. A surge of energy came from somewhere and blasted the wall in front of them. Ron was just in time in scooping up Mikhaila to get out of harm’s way.